Pattern roll for Interior Matting

Hi!

I originally posted this question over at Large Scale Planes and a member there (thanks Youngtiger1) suggested that I should repeat it here.

It all started with a question about the matting in the Swedish Boeing Vertol (Hkp4) and how to reproduce it in 1/48 scale. Inspired by some rail modellers I suggested that he could use a patter-roll with the negative pattern for rolling over flattened milliput (or the putty of your choice) and then you can cut your matt to any size you want. After some creative photo interpretation we decided that the Hkp4 used a square pattern that would be 4x4mm in 48 scale and I modelled this:

YpsLcus.jpg

JGUNy4V.jpg

Well... I thought this was a great idea (it is partially mine so of course it is a good idea!) and that it could and should be adapted to more patterns in more scales and I asked over at LSP for dimensions and suggestions and YoungTiger sent me here!

So!

What do you think and what dimensions should I do?

A very creative suggestions over at LSP was a PSP roll, so that is what I'm working on right now:GRlYK4i.jpg

That is a tad more complicated.

Thanks for looking!

/Lars

Not sure, this might be a case where you draw it out where it looks good because actual size will have some limitations. I like the idea but I would think to use on foil not millput. I think Huey would be another good use. 

UH-1b-035546.jpg

UH-1D%2065-12882%20cabin%20(1).JPG

AAHF%20UH-1H%2068-16104%20cabin%20(12).J

and floor too

UH-1V%2069-15271%20cockpit%20(2).JPG

I would not think a roller would be good for PSP as the layout is to complex to replicate well but 3d printed PSP could work better.

excellent idea in my opinion. However, the pattern looks like floor tiles to me and does not have enough that loose air inflated aspect, and the sewed aeras are a bit too deep. 

I'm sure you can improve that.

Then PSP may be a good idea, as floor tiles, paved road sections, perhaps corrugated carrier deck surface patern, 

Norbert

I was at a big-box hardware store here in the US recently and came across a roll of plastic that is used to line kitchen cabinets.  It's smooth on one side and on the other side it has the same pattern as helicopter sound-proofing.  I've seen the same stuff in kitchen supply stores, and also in big-box general retailers such as Target or Wal-Mart.  It might make a good template for molding or foil.  Another similarly-patterned plastic I've see is on a roll that is used for vacuum-sealing foods.

John Hairell (tpn18@yaahoo.com)