Something new for the F-15

17 minutes ago, erik_g said:

I like the acronym "HATE". Is that an IRST-pod on the centerline pylon? 

Sure looks like an IRST.  Probably the same IRST that Boeing have installed into the centreline tank for the Super Hornet.  They sure are making a good go at making the Eagle and ugly bird with all the lumps and bumps being put on it.

irst_super_hornet_zpscurh0a3h.jpg

1 hour ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

They sure are making a good go at making the Eagle and ugly bird with all the lumps and bumps being put on it.

"Making a Good Go?" The Eagle always was an ugly bird, IMHO. :monkeydance:

It was the only plane I hated working on, in my 24 year USAF career.

Of course, a lot of that was probably due to the "management" of the 33rd FW at Eglin.

Larry

7 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

"Making a Good Go?" The Eagle always was an ugly bird, IMHO. :monkeydance:

It was the only plane I hated working on, in my 24 year USAF career.

Of course, a lot of that was probably due to the "management" of the 33rd FW at Eglin.

Larry

I thought when the F-15A made it's appearance it looked quite a slick jet.  With the addition of the Fast Packs, that's what changes it into an eye sore.  Agreed, in the big picture overall though, it's not the nicest looking jet.  My preference has always been with the Navy jets, F-14s, F-18s.  Yet I worked on commercial aircraft.

20 hours ago, flanker27 said:

I thought the Talon Hate is the pod under the fuselage. So the pod on the top of the fuselage is also part of the sensor suite?

Sounds like it is.  I wasn't aware of this fairing on the top either.   Not sure if this thing is planned for full production or not, thought it was just in the trails stage.   17' long and 1,800 lbs, it's definately gonna hurt the F-15's performance but it seems that the way of the future for a fight against a peer adversary is to use the F-15 as a missile truck to assist Raptors.  So maybe the hit on performance isn't as big of an issue.

20 hours ago, flanker27 said:

What is the canoe shaped thing on the top of the Eagle beside the airbrake? satellite receiver like the  Israeli F-15I?

Probably some sort of telemetry system fitted for testing purposes, either that or a solar panel to power the HATE pod.

3 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Probably some sort of telemetry system fitted for testing purposes, either that or a solar panel to power the HATE pod.

My uneducated guess was that it's a low profile satcom system so that the pod can talk to F-22's and F-35's.   I really doubt it contains a solar panel, you'd need something much bigger to meet the power requirements of a pod that massive.  Plus that would kinda limit the ability of the F-15 to use this thing at night.

It's a combo bod.  They have the IRST in there at the front and the have gear in the rest of it so that the F-15 can communicate with more stealthier platforms like the F-22.  As it stands right now the F-22 can see what the F-15 does but the F-15 can't see what the F-22 does. The reason being is that the F-22 does not have link 16 because of the not so stealthy features of it would give away the raptor. The pod is suppose to alleviate those communication problems they have between fourth and five gen fighters   

13 minutes ago, 11bee said:

My uneducated guess was that it's a low profile satcom system so that the pod can talk to F-22's and F-35's.   I really doubt it contains a solar panel, you'd need something much bigger to meet the power requirements of a pod that massive.  Plus that would kinda limit the ability of the F-15 to use this thing at night.

The solar panel bit was meant to be tongue in cheek.........

On 17/02/2017 at 4:25 PM, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

I thought when the F-15A made it's appearance it looked quite a slick jet.  With the addition of the Fast Packs, that's what changes it into an eye sore.  Agreed, in the big picture overall though, it's not the nicest looking jet.  My preference has always been with the Navy jets, F-14s, F-18s.  Yet I worked on commercial aircraft.

i agree on the F-15A being a sleek jet, and doesn't look bad at all... anyway, all of the teen fighter have their own nice feature... when you take them alltogether to make another plane, you got the Sukhoi Flanker!:monkeydance:

13 hours ago, achterkirch said:

It's a combo bod.  They have the IRST in there at the front and the have gear in the rest of it so that the F-15 can communicate with more stealthier platforms like the F-22.  As it stands right now the F-22 can see what the F-15 does but the F-15 can't see what the F-22 does. The reason being is that the F-22 does not have link 16 because of the not so stealthy features of it would give away the raptor. The pod is suppose to alleviate those communication problems they have between fourth and five gen fighters   

This is correct, there was an article about the suite in combat aircraft monthly. It's intended as a interim solution which will be rolled out to only a few jets. The article implied that it was Boeing testing a more long term solution.