Selling finished ordnance

I was thinking of trying to put together a little "cottage industry" of selling painted, decaled, finished missiles, bombs, fuel tanks, pods, etc.  Do you think there might be a market for something like this?  I mean I know for myself and probably lots of modelers out there, that putting together ordnance is one of my least favorite modeling tasks; same with filling and sanding.

Thoughts?

Dan

That's an interesting idea. It's funny that you happened to bring it up.

I myself really don't like building and detailing missiles and bombs. During a modeling project I always leave them as one of the last things I do. Maybe they are not the main thing (the aircraft itself is), maybe the job is a bit too repetitive if you make several of them for one aircraft, especially in 1/72 they often are quite small and you really have to do a lot to make them stand out and of course they are quite delicate and thus not very easy to handle. Etc. etc.

So. Would I buy them as finished?  Hard to say. Top notch work would naturally cost something. Maybe someone would, but in that case they should really look outstanding.

I think it’s a good idea...at least from a business perspective.

There’s been a trend over the last 5-10 years where modelers are increasingly looking for off-the-shelf solutions in the hobby (e.g., pre-painted photoetch, pre-made washes, camouflage stencils, wheel masks, etc.). I imagine there will be modelers who will be willing to pay a premium for ordnance if it makes the building process easier or faster.

indeed, not to mention single piece missiles... and it's called "choose what you liked more about the hobby, avoid what will turn you off or away from hobby"...to each its own...

i like the idea buying finished ordinance...but not sure i'd be a customer...(more eager to pay for super detailed resin missiles that assembled/finished "kit" missiles...)

Dan, I do have one question for you to think about. If " putting together ordnance is one of my least favorite modeling tasks ",,,,,how would you enjoy doing it in large batches for other people?

I am NOT saying that you shouldn't do it. I just wanted to get you to think about all of the other aftermarket producers. I would hope that they are doing their Favorite thing in the hobby, not their least favorite.

Maybe you have come up with a way to do this in batches,,,,,and put some of the fun back into it.

Would also depend on the quality of the actual missile/bomb/rocket pod to start with, would you be offering Eduard Brassin quality or Hasegawa weapons set quality. To be honest with the vast array of weaponry out there I can't see how you could make it profitable, however nothing ventured nothing gained.