Gentlemen, I believe we have proof that Evolution is done with us...

Today I went to a store here in England where, among other 'household goods, various', I purchased a 9-roll pack of a major brand toilet tissue.

IT HAS 'INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE' PRINTED ON THE BAG!!!

Seriously??! If you need to be told how to use this stuff, you probably cannot read. Or do your own shopping! (Worse still, the so-called 'Instructions' mention nothing about cleaning airbrush needles...)

On 21/02/2017 at 3:45 AM, The Rat said:

Are the instructions illustrated?

Yes, but only with little pictograms showing TP sheets (they even suggest a quantity: 2-3 sheets per application!) and, yes, directional arrows... :doh:

3 hours ago, john53 said:

Are the instructions multilingual?----John

...and no! The makers probably figure that only us Brits are dumb enough to need help with this! Also, no mention is made of what you are supposed to do with the tissue after use -somehow, this conjures unfortunate images of people sitting in their bathrooms desperately punching Product Helpline numbers into their iPhones...one handed.

I am not sure 100% but in Russia don't they "save" the paper in a

separate "pail" after use and flush only the "waste". Not being gross but that's life. Think

of trying to show that in a "cartoon" on the wrapper.---John

21 hours ago, john53 said:

I am not sure 100% but in Russia don't they "save" the paper in a

separate "pail" after use and flush only the "waste".

Don't know about Russia but I confirm it's the case in many places in China - from what I've been told it's because the drains are too easily clogged when throwing the paper in...

On 23/02/2017 at 7:59 PM, Hamster Volant said:

Don't know about Russia but I confirm it's the case in many places in China - from what I've been told it's because the drains are too easily clogged when throwing the paper in...

Also SOP in some parts of Mediterranean countries, I believe...?

But that may be a 'thing' that persists in very old, smaller communities because what we understand as 'modern drainage' systems are associated more with larger cities -the (now rather stretched) London sewer infrastructure was only conceived because the prevailing waste management strategy beforehand amounted to 'chuck it all in the river', in this case the handy and apparently bottomless Thames! Only after numerous typhoid outbreaks and the Thames, along with its underground tributaries such as the Fleet eventually becoming de facto sewers due to the relentless increase in the urban population, did the government (convening at Westminster, right on the riverside, which in 1858 was so malodorous that something fundamental had to be done) agree to pay the talented Civil Engineer Joseph Bazalgette £100,000 to get it all cleaned up. That was a HUGE sum of money at the time, but the extraordinary project that Bazalgette implemented transformed the entire metropolis with a network of underground channels and surface pumping stations. More amazing, given the scale of the undertaking and the limits of available technology, the work was completed in around ten years -or about as long as it takes me to build a 1/48 Century Series kit.

And they say there's no glamour in engineering...