Camera comparison: Canon A620 vs iPhone 6

For the last 8-9 years, I have been using a Canon A620 for all my modeling photography. I can do macro lens, aperture first with f/8 depth of field (the max depth the camera allows), timer delay, no flash, all on a tripod. I use a backdrop and have several spot lights. For my final pictures I try to diffuse the light with a light white cloth screen. For WIP no such diffuser. 

Anyway,  I'd characterize both my WIP and final model photos as mediocre. Recently, out of convenience, I started using my iPhone 6 to take pictures of some of the intermediate steps only for my reference, with no intentions of posting them. There is no tripod or timer or macro setting, simply point and shoot. To my surprise, the IP pics seem to be better than the Canon results. The IP produces less burnout, better focus/sharper images. It also seems to compensate for poor lighting much better.  I am now planning to buy a tripod adapter for the iPhone and I am thinking about phasing out my Canon altogether.

My question is, is this a good decision? Am I missing something here? Is the iPhone truly that much better than the Canon or am I not using my Canon properly? I realize the huge gap in years between the two technologies, so I can see the IP outperforming the Canon, but still wanted to get some input from the photography experts. 

While we're at it, any tips for using the IP camera for model photography? Haven't experimented with its HDR features, but may look into that next. 

TIA

The newer iPhones have quite good cameras in my opinion, but for getting the most from it, you  should probably download a better camera app. It will give you more control of things like ISO and shutter speed. 

The problem with the phone cams are that they have a fixed aperture at f/1.8, I believe. That isn't all bad, since the sensor is almost microscopic, so the depth of field is quite OK anyway. But the downside of the small sensor is high noise. So, if you will accept that the depth of field is fixed, and that the pictures won't stand too much cropping, the iPhone can be quite nice for taking model photos good enough for posting online. But if you want better control of your depth of field, and the ability of cropping your pictures to get even closer, or if you want to print your photos and maybe even enlarge them, go with a new DSLR. Even the entry level DSLRs from most brands are a lot more versatile. But they are heavy and clumsy compared to the iPhone.

Edited by denstore

Thank you both. I ran some tests for the same scene composition and lighting conditions. I have found the IP to be better even without a tripod (the canon is on a tripod). Though, like Denstore said, when you zoom in to the IP pictures it doesn't look that good. Not sure if it is noise or sensitivity, but it looks poorer than the zoomed in version of the Canon pics.  But, I just ordered a simple tripod adapter for the IP. I think I will switch to the IP from now on. 

Looks like you can use IP's headset as a shutter trigger, so may not need to set a timer after all. 

The iPhone 6 camera has an 8 MP sensor and uses digital zoom, e.g. the full image is just cropped to fewer pixels to simulate "zoom".

Canon A620 has a 7 MP sensor and a 4X optical zoom, meaning the lens actually changes focal length while maintaining the full resolution of the sensor.

If you are into photography check out CHDK at http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/A620 for your A620, it provides aperture- and shutter-priority modes as well as RAW file output.

Edited by habu2