I recently read a couple of really interesting books about British Apache pilots in Afghanistan circa 2006, these helicopters are some really impressive examples of what engineering can do.  Without further ado, let me present my latest work, the Hasegawa 1/48th AH-64D Apache 'Longbow'  OOB.  Hasegawa did a really nice job with this kit, the fit is top notch, there's only a couple troublespots, notably the main and tail rotor assembly.  The kit is very nicely detailed with recessed panel lines, but has all those nice textured riveting on it too.  Some parts of the kit are a wee bit over-engineered and seem to involve combining lots of little parts that don't add a lot more detail instead of just molding it as one piece.  The number of antennas, handles, is staggering and I'm shocked I didn't lose some of them.  I was able to track down some nice reference shot of some apaches with a lot of faded and worn paints with lots of touchups and couldn't resist the opportunity to weather it, I also used a Tamiya Weathering set for desert colors and had some fun with that, especially underneath.  I used a combination of Model Master and Tamiya acrylics for the airbrushing.   Since I wasn't doing a particular subject I had some fun making up my own camouflage and weathering, basically using the reference photos for ideas on how to make it appealing to the eye.  I didn't feel like doing any ordnance for this one and just kept the racks empty.  I really had fun doing this one and would definitely recommend this kit to anyone as it is pretty easy to put together and  it was fun to mix it up a little and try something other than airplanes.  Thanks for checking it out and enjoy!

IMG_3811_zpstpflumr6.jpg

IMG_3825_zps1jipgrlf.jpg

IMG_3824_zpswlldsiin.jpg

IMG_3823_zpsnm5rjgoy.jpg

IMG_3820_zpsatcnnwzw.jpg

IMG_3817_zps5es2hkwn.jpg

IMG_3816_zps70yjtaxt.jpg

IMG_3815_zpsqbfzcu2z.jpg

IMG_3810_zps3elr8swf.jpg

IMG_3814_zpshxghoswa.jpg

On 2/20/2017 at 0:56 PM, salvador001 said:

What an incredible piece of art.

How did you fade the paint? It looks so damn realistic.

Congrats on a fine looking Apache.

Rod.

After priming in grey with lacquer, I airbrushed the whole thing the "Army US Help Drab Color" (I can't remember the exact FS but Model Master makes it).  I then looked at various reference photos that showed similar faded and touched up areas.  I used a mix of various Tamiya and Model Master light and dark green colors (Tamiya Cockpit green among others, dark sea blue, brownish olive drabs, NATO black, etc) to "mottle" and "blend" these colors into the base color.  After I was satisfied I used a fairly thinned misting coat of the base color to blend everything together.  Then out came the Tamiya weather master set for desert colors and I used used that to add further fading/weathering and sand and dirt grime for underneath.  A gloss coat of Tamiya Clear and a blackish/dark dark grey wash for panel and rivet detail highlighting.  It was my second time using the Vallejo Flat Clear as I really liked the finish it gave on the F-105G 'Thunderchief' and was equally satisfied with how it came out.  I've moved away from pre-shading all panel lines in black as I feel this often creates a "checkerboard" effect.  I find more control and precision with what I'm try to achieve by using other similar colors over the base and then going over them with a thinned misty coat of the base color, this also keeps the paint finish "interesting" to the eye.