EA-7L seats Q

Hello all. I'm trying to figure out wich one of those seats was mounted on the EA-7L Corsair, the ESCAPAC or STENCEL model. Found pictures of the aircraft but they're taken from too far to identify the seat.

Thanks for your help!!

I.Martin

They had both.  I've looked at a couple of books and the L models flown by the Naval Air Warfare Center had Stencel seats.  The captions state the photos were taken in 1994 around the time they were retired.  If you are doing a gull gray over white I would go with the ESCAPAC. However, there is a photo of a NAWC grey over white EA-7L with Stencel seats again the photo was taken in 1994.  Additionally if you can look at your photos the Stencel front seat has canopy piercers that point straight up.  The ESCAPAC front seat has canopy piercers that are angled forward.  Hope that helps a little.

According to Steve Ginter's excellent "Twosader" book, before Airframe Change 442, the front seat was an Escapac 1G-4, aft seat 1G-5, the difference being in the shape of the canopy cutters.

After AFC 442 the front seat was a Stencil SJU-11/A, aft seat -12/A, again the difference was in the shape of the canopy cutters.

I don't have any info as to how/when AFC 442 was rolled out.

On 22/2/2017 at 3:12 AM, habu2 said:

According to Steve Ginter's excellent "Twosader" book, before Airframe Change 442, the front seat was an Escapac 1G-4, aft seat 1G-5, the difference being in the shape of the canopy cutters.

After AFC 442 the front seat was a Stencil SJU-11/A, aft seat -12/A, again the difference was in the shape of the canopy cutters.

I don't have any info as to how/when AFC 442 was rolled out.

Thanks for the info, I didn't remember that I bought a pair of Neomega's Stencel seats some time ago and perhaps I'll use them instead spending more $$, even knowing that the correct seat is the Escapac model.

Tanks again!

Edited by I.Martin