ReccePhreak

What's with the "new" video ads?

17 posts in this topic

There are new video ads, from Turn Advertising "http://www.turn.com/", that slow down and interrupt you while making or editing a post.

ARC_New_Video_Ads.jpg 

They are REALLY ANNOYING!!!

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

Steve B,

Larry's absolutely correct. Those particular ads are way too disruptive. As Larry pointed out, they steal the focus and complete screw up typing.

-- 

dnl

Firefox + uBlock origin + Ghostery and you're fine - don't see any of those annoying stuff anymore.

Add over it Greasemonkey and Behind The Overlay and you're well equiped to cope with almost all advertisers can throw at you.

5 hours ago, Hamster Volant said:

Firefox + uBlock origin + Ghostery and you're fine - don't see any of those annoying stuff anymore.

Add over it Greasemonkey and Behind The Overlay and you're well equiped to cope with almost all advertisers can throw at you.

I am perfectly happy with Google Chrome, and don't plan to change to a different browser software, just for one discussion forum. :google:

Larry

4 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I am perfectly happy with Google Chrome, and don't plan to change to a different browser software, just for one discussion forum

I believe some or most of the expansion modules exist also for Chrome :-)

Urgh -I got Chrome without any add-ons and don't see any of this stuff! Is it only in North America?

That freaking ad was doing it again to me on another thread.. My typing kept getting interrupted and lost until I closed the ad shown at the top of this thread.

Adding INSULT TO INJURY, that freaking ad was at the top of THIS POST TOO!

Seriously, that ad is BROKEN! 

Sorry for the shouting, but this is REALLY ANNOYING!

Edited by dnl42

Thanks MoFo -although I never had a problem on this forum, I added ABP and it claims to have blocked 3 already while I was typing this! I think what the OP was referring to must be specific to certain countries (or maybe Windows 10 installations! :whistle:)

26 minutes ago, ChippyWho said:

I think what the OP was referring to must be specific to certain countries (or maybe Windows 10 installations! :whistle:)

I use Linux, so not a windows thing...

While I want Steve to ditch this horrible ad, I do want him to enjoy the revenue from non-abusive ads...

3 hours ago, ChippyWho said:

I think what the OP was referring to must be specific to certain countries (or maybe Windows 10 installations! :whistle:)

I still use Windows XP, so it's NOT Windoze 10 specific.

Larry

12 hours ago, dnl42 said:

While I want Steve to ditch this horrible ad, I do want him to enjoy the revenue from non-abusive ads...

8 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

I still use Windows XP, so it's NOT Windoze 10 specific.

Larry

Forgive my feeble little joke-ette re. W.10 -just been reading that Microsoft have been getting mucho heat over deeply annoying ad-bombs (for their own products) that have of late permeated all levels of the Windows 10 environment.

As I STILL haven't seen any of the stuff we're talking about here, I'm beginning to feel I'm missing out! 

1 hour ago, ChippyWho said:

Forgive my feeble little joke-ette re. W.10 -just been reading that Microsoft have been getting mucho heat over deeply annoying ad-bombs (for their own products) that have of late permeated all levels of the Windows 10 environment.

As I STILL haven't seen any of the stuff we're talking about here, I'm beginning to feel I'm missing out! 

And that is one big reason I haven't "UPGRADED"  to Windoze 10 on ANY of my computers. Running XP on 2 of them and Windows 7 on the other 2.

Larry

I use Google Chrome with adblock and don't get them.

:cheers:

Jerry

I've kept silent on this for years and watched the ad revenues decline year after year. 

Just a heads up guys....as the ad revenues drop....so does my time to work on ARC.  Each update amounts to 8 hours a day.  It makes much more sense to work 2 regular full time jobs and make double salary than one full time job and do ARC.

Doing ARC pays radically less than the front counter at McDonalds, but if I'm going to work for free.....I'd much rather be in my garage restoring a motorbike. 

On 3/17/2017 at 3:55 PM, dnl42 said:

i am not aware of the ads you guys mention in this thread.  Different ads load for different people.  I have not had those ads load for me.