Possible new 1/144 C-5 Galaxy

I sure hope it is true.  This is a subject many have asked for, myself included.   As we all know, the Otaki kit in its many guises has become somewhat hard to find, and expensive.  

Roden has really been on a roll with long neglected subjects the past few years.  It will be nice to see what they do with the C-5.

Damn.  It's not that hard to resist the Otaki C-5 because of its rarity and cost.  A readily available new mold will be so much harder.

And a C-133. And a 1/48 L-19/O-1! :woo:

Well I am happy Roden is doing this even though I have already built my Otaki kit using the Revell release. It was a big model and I cheated and built it in flight because I really did not want to paint so many wheels. I really want to build one as a Pan Am Cargo since Draw Decals already has a sheet for that scheme.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:28 AM, Koen L said:

They are doing a C-5B (release in May) and C-5M (release in November), according to a list provided by the Dutch distributor of Roden kits. (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017225-novelties-roden-2017/)

Ok....this is too good to be true. But I'm hopeful! But really....how reliable is this news? I want opinions....thanks

Outside of internal updates and a paint change, what's the difference between the "A" version and the later C-5s?

A C-140 would be good but it should be in 1/72nd, and a T-39 would help.

For that matter, a C-9 Nightingale, T-29, T-43, and a Army C-7 Christmas ship while we're at it.

I'm thinking C-123 Ranch Hand.

The C-5B is an improved version of the C-5A. It incorporated all modifications and improvements made to the C-5A with improved wings, simplified landing gear, upgraded TF-39-GE-1C turbofan engines and updated avionics. 50 of the new variant were delivered to the U.S. Air Force from 1986 to 1989.

Following a study showing 80% of the C-5 airframe service life remaining, AMC began an aggressive program to modernize all remaining C-5Bs and C-5Cs and many of the C-5As. The C-5 Avionics Modernization Program (AMP) began in 1998 and includes upgrading avionics to Global Air Traffic Management compliance, improving communications, new flat panel displays, improving navigation and safety equipment, and installing a new autopilot system. The first flight of a C-5 with AMP (85-0004) occurred on 21 December 2002.

The Reliability Enhancement and Re-engining Program (RERP) began in 2006. It includes new General Electric F138-GE-100 (CF6-80C2) engines, pylons and auxiliary power units, upgrades to aircraft skin and frame, landing gear, cockpit and pressurization systems. Each CF6 engine produces 22% more thrust (50,000 lbf or 220 kN), providing a 30% shorter takeoff, a 38% higher climb rate to initial altitude, an increased cargo load and a longer range. Upgraded C-5s are designated C-5M Super Galaxy.

All of those you see in that shot from AMARG are -A models, which were built in the late 60's and early 70's.  The two -Cs were built then as well, but were modified to handle space payloads and rockets and other similar items.  As such, they did not fly as much as the rest of the fleet, and thus have more life left in them than the rest of the -As, as well has fulfilling a specialized mission.  I believe one -A model was modified under RERP to evaluate the feasibility of modifying further -As, but it was decided to limit the RERP to the -Bs and -Cs, as the age of the -As and their systems didn't justify the cost of keeping them flying through the RERP modification.

Edited by 757flyer
Corrected information
4 hours ago, 757flyer said:

All of those you see in that shot from AMARG are -A models, which were built in the late 60's and early 70's.  The two -Cs were built then as well, but were modified to handle space payloads and rockets and other similar items.  As such, they did not fly as much as the rest of the fleet, and thus have more life left in them than the rest of the -As, as well has fulfilling a specialized mission.  I believe one -A model was modified under RERP to evaluate the feasibility of modifying further -As, but it was decided to limit the RERP to the -Bs and -Cs, as the age of the -As and their systems didn't justify the cost of keeping them flying through the RERP modification.

Dam if that ain't sad....along with the 15's in the background.

22 hours ago, 757flyer said:

Makes you wonder then, why they would bother to even keep them in storage if they cannot be upgraded. Would any parts be able to carry over to the newer models? If not you would think there would be more value in the scrap metal than letting them sit and rot away n the sun. Just wondering out loud here.

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

Makes you wonder then, why they would bother to even keep them in storage if they cannot be upgraded. Would any parts be able to carry over to the newer models? If not you would think there would be more value in the scrap metal than letting them sit and rot away n the sun. Just wondering out loud here.

I would guess at a minimum they would be a good source of major parts such as control surfaces, like the flaps, ailerons, and rudder.  

And who know what will happen in the future?  A need may arise in the future we can not foresee.  A wb-57 was put back in service after being stored there for 40 years.

It will be sad, for me any way to visit AMARC and see them being slowly digested for parts.

Any way, any news on the Roden release? I did not see it on the Roden website.

It's long overdue we had a new Galaxy but Roden can show their shortcomings at times.   The Globemaster was ok but it had a nasty sprue attachment right on the nose so it left a nice scar in the plastic which is quite annoying.  Plus a few other bad sprue attachments and lack of detail.