CD144006 - 1/144 C-5B/M Galaxy

Did you get an opportunity to see if/how these will fit the Otaki kit?  Still shell shocked over Roden's pricing so I'm hoping these will work on the Otaki...

(yes I know this is the B/M sheet thread but assume it applies to the upcoming A sheet markings....)

On 9/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, habu2 said:

Did you get an opportunity to see if/how these will fit the Otaki kit?  Still shell shocked over Roden's pricing so I'm hoping these will work on the Otaki...

I think it will work OK on the Otaki kit : the only concern I have is the chord of the tail - if someone can send me tracing of the tail, I can confirm the fit very quickly. Let me know if you have an easily accessible Otaki kit and can take a few photos : no need to ship the whole kit for this one.

On 2017-09-10 at 2:51 PM, habu2 said:

(yes I know this is the B/M sheet thread but assume it applies to the upcoming A sheet markings....)

I managed to buy one from Lucky Models for $80 US. I lost so many bids that exceeded this price on Otaki kits I am happy I finally got a Galaxy for less than what the Otaki kits were selling on eBay.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:07 AM, KursadA said:

I think it will work OK on the Otaki kit : the only concern I have is the chord of the tail - if someone can send me tracing of the tail, I can confirm the fit very quickly. Let me know if you have an easily accessible Otaki kit and can take a few photos : no need to ship the whole kit for this one.

Email sent

A big thanks to Chris and Charlie  - I received the photos I needed and confirmed that the Otaki tail chord is only about 0.8mm wider at the point where the unit decoration band is applied; and the overall dimensions of both kits' tails are almost identical. The decals will fit the Otaki kit as well.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of questions about C-5 as I am not sure of which version of your decal sheet that I should buy. I am wanting to make a C-5 from the Gulf conflict of 1990/1, and I know that both the A and B versions of the aircraft were used. What I do not know is what are the main differences between these two versions and are they obvious? I think that what I am mainly asking is could I make an A version from the B kit? This I ask because the price of the Roden kit has made me decide that I can only but one kit to make the model that I would like to. This would then lead me to ask which of your decal sheets would be best for what I want to build. Many thanks in advance for any help.

During Desert Storm the C-5 fleet was still the green camo paint jobs, the all gray paint didn't not come around until afterwords I believe. 

As for the difference between the A and B is very minimal. Being a trash loader in the Reserves I have loaded MANY Freds and really the only difference was the dependability. The As we're made back in the 60s-70s and tended to be more "tired" while the Bs were in the 80s are "newer", granted even then the mission capability was marginal. Externally the biggest tell-tell was the defensive additions, the A's did not have the flare dispensers under the nose or the wings and IR detectors on the nose or base of the tail like the Bs do. I do not know if the Bs originally came out this the defensive equipment. The C-5M is almost a new plane, new cockpit, new engines and the cargo area is redone as they go through the redo at the New York ANG.

Edited by Falcon053

MAC & AFRES & ANG C-5s supported Gulf War efforts. All 80 front line and 46 Reserve airframes were heavily involved. (no pun intended)

All photos I have seen from that era were in Euro One green paint schemes.

MAC

60 MAW, 22 & 75 MAS out of Travis AFB, C-5A&B

436 MAW, 9 & 20 MAS out of Dover AFB, C-5A&B

443 MAW, 56 MAS out of Altus AFB, C-5B only

AFRES

433 MAW, 68 MAS out of Kelly AFB, C-5A only

439 MAW, 337 MAS out of Westover AFB, C-5A only

349 MAW, 310 & 312 MAS out of Travis AFB, C-5A/B

512 MAW, 326 & 709 MAS out of Dover AFB, C-5A&B

ANG

105 MAG, 137 MAS out of Stewart ANGB, C-5A only

60 MAW (Travis) C-5A 68-0228 crashed at Ramstein on 8/29/90,  before hostilities started, 13 KIA, 4 survived.

Both sheets have Euro 1 camo examples on them. I will do more research as I start working on the instructions, but I think there should be several options that are suitable for a Gulf War period example.

As usual, I am selling the Roden C-5 kit I used to design this decal sheet. Some parts are off the sprues, but everything is complete. I will ship the kit immediately, and you will get your choice of a free CD144006 or CD144008  (a $14 value) when the decals start shipping next month.

The price is $100 including shipping in the US. Sorry, US and PayPal only. 

I would rather sell to a Caracal customer and forum reader, so I am posting it here first. If I don't get any PM's until tomorrow (Tuesday) night, I will post it in the general "buy and sell" forum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Both Galaxy sheets are selling out. I have only 10-15 of each remaining. It looks like there was a lot of demand for quality C-5  decals, for both the new Roden kit and the legacy mold.

Since the Roden kit is still very new, I will try to address this as soon as possible and do a reprint within the next 1-2 months.