Trumpeter/Hobbycraft 1/32 P-38J

I build mostly out of the box but in this case I wanted to replace the props, which just didn't look right to me, and the vinyl tires, which I hate.  But then I went on a spree (for me) and ended up getting a bunch of aftermarket stuff: Contact Resine props, spinners and tires; Grand Phoenix cockpit; SAC metal landing gear Quick Boost gun barrels; and Zotz decals. Construction was a bit tricky. There are complete engines that can't be fully displayed without cutting some panels but they will be partially visible through some openings so at least a half-assed effort is required there. All control surfaces are poseable and held in place with photoetch and metal rods. Test fitting the booms to the wings to check alignment before committing to glue is nearly impossible because the upper wing is long and very flexible.  Every try gave different results so I just went ahead and glued it all together and hoped for the best. The SAC gear turned out to be nearly useless. I wanted to used them instead of the kit's plastic gear because it took about 2oz. to make this kit sit on it's nose wheel but the SAC mains were nearly 2mm different in length so I scrapped those and used the kit mains. The oleo on the SAC nose gear was more compressed than I wanted (I like my P-38 with a tail-low sit), so I cut it out, replaced it with some brass tube and opened up the scissors. Paints are Model Master enamels. Weathering is a mix of pre-shading, post shading, oil washes, and a silver pencil.

P38-01_zpseq6isf6e.jpg

P38-02_zpsww22iaww.jpg

P38-03_zpsfok6bvzx.jpg

P38-04_zpsvrxqcvfw.jpg

P38-05_zps8mkdsvmb.jpg

P38-06_zpsfxl0pgsh.jpg

P38-07_zpspnuvrray.jpg

P38-08_zpsrgkafqxl.jpg

p38-10_zpsntbtswhq.jpg

P38-11_zpsqhh6dekp.jpg

Hello Chip Jean!!!

I think your Lightning is very beautiful,

BUT all the colours of it are literally devoured, or eaten, or swallowed by your BLUE background.

It's really a pity but I can't have any idea how your camo colours look like.

I think it would be interesting to shoot new pictures, for instance on a light grey or medium grey

background, what do you think?

Would you like to give it a try?

PS, I'm not colour blind !