AH-1G in 1/72 by Special Hobby

My first entry here: The Special Hobby AH-1G Cobra in 1/72, propably the best kit of the "Snake"!

IMG_6516_zpsyt8hv9y1.jpg

Will do "Cindy Ann" with the 20mm M-35 Gun System. Read "Snake Pilot" by Randy Zahn and loved it, so doing his bird is a tribute to his actions and his book.

HAJO

OK, some progress:

IMG_6518_zpsifjtvqdv.jpg

The instrument panels are nice, but the decals provide instruments that are way too bright and "white". I tried to tone them down by brushing a thin layer of black of them. In the end it looks good, I´d say:

IMG_6519_zpsoe2urb1t.jpg

As you can see, the cockpit itself is already done, and the kit is very straight forward. Fit is extremely well and I didn´t had to sand or correct anything yet. So I can really recommend the Cobra!

IMG_6531_zps0ovnl3yg.jpg

In fact, the only step where I had some problems was when I tried to put in the engine exhaust AFTER glueing the halves together. The instructions say that this part needs to be glued in BEFORE shutting the halves - I thought I´d be smarter, and was proven wrong! So, the kit is very well engineered and will outsmart you if you´d try! ;)

IMG_6532_zpsxlufbjud.jpg

IMG_6533_zpsmhehmf38.jpg

HAJO

Yep, the "toilet bowl" exhaust is part of the kit!

I just have praised the kit for accuracy and excellent engineering - something I shouldn´t have done, I think! Because now I have something that simply doesn´t look right:

IMG_6536_zpsyqddf3wy.jpg

The exhaust opening of the engine looks different than the pictures I know. But as you will see on the next picture, this strange ring that I glued on the end of the exhaust opening should go there, at least according to the instructions:

IMG_6534_zps1hqey99f.jpg

Any idea if that´s a correct feature? And if not - how do I correct that?

And a bonus question: I attached two small rings (one can be seen on the first picture below the fuselage), what is their purpose?

HAJO

Thanks to Floyd Werner I was able to get my questions answered, which were in short: Cut it off! So I did.

Progress of the last days was good, as you will see. I worked on the crew figures and started with the bodies, using two figures of the Revell pilot set. First I made sure they both fit in the seat:

IMG_6538_zpsxonur6to.jpg

I had cut off the heads since they belonged to Jet-pilots. But before adding helo-heads (rotorheads? ;) ) I equipped the two with "chicken plate" body armour:

IMG_6539_zpsifmslint.jpg

I simply cut some paper in the right form and glued it on the upper chest. Voilà, new heads and body armour!

IMG_6540_zpsmsvmfgzl.jpg

After painting the two guys:

IMG_6542_zpskixyeqav.jpg

Both look really good when seated in the cockpit!

IMG_6543_zpsay6qucd1.jpg

IMG_6544_zpsopny3j8n.jpg

And I started with the clear parts. The center windshield went into place without problems:

IMG_6546_zpsmasy2sba.jpg

IMG_6548_zps7uutzwob.jpg

HAJO

Hajo,

Looks like you got your question answered, but yes, that exhaust ring is just silly and is one of the things about the kit really annoys me.  I actually like the AZ models kit as well. It really just needs a new canopy to be excellent.  Both kits also come with the wide chord tail rotor of later cobras and need the Werner Wings tail rotor to be accurate.

Ray

Thanks for the replies!

I nearly forgot to mention that some ballast in the nose makes things a bit easier. I fortunately did so, maybe it would have worked without it, but you´d better don´t take any chances.

Some update. The canopy was finished and went on quite smoothly, although it´s consisting of five different parts.

IMG_6549_zpsoyuiv2kv.jpg

Then I painted the Snake with Revells 46, adding Orange for the elevators, nose and tail-fin-tip:

IMG_6552_zpszgyj7rm5.jpg

And just a couple of minutes ago I applied the decals:

IMG_6554_zpse5tx5za1.jpg

They are very thin and wet on good, although some of the detals are not that crisp as could be expected. For example the name of the Chief Engineeror the "24" in the yellow circle are no really good...

HAJO

Well, the last item I added to the Snake was the main rotor. I don´t know what´s the idea here, but this can´t be right, can it???

IMG_6555_zpsevbds0um.jpg

As you can see, the rotor will be simply put on the doghouse, no mast or similar thing stabilizing it! This is definately NOT good and somehow damages the excellent reputation the model had so far.

IMG_6556_zpszdn13wxr.jpg

The weapons are spot on, thought!

IMG_6557_zpsfn21qw7s.jpg

IMG_6558_zpsfi5uhjlx.jpg

Aaaaaannd: "Cindy Ann" is ready for war!

IMG_6559_zpslqecvudb.jpg

IMG_6560_zpsz1htdvec.jpg

IMG_6561_zpsqp9mwpdt.jpg

IMG_6562_zpsejqoj44m.jpg

IMG_6563_zpsxbyzfy27.jpg

IMG_6565_zpsnmyf5dwe.jpg

IMG_6566_zps5uisajqw.jpg

HAJO

• 2 weeks later...