shipping large kits

Like many before me, I have reached a point where I really need to start to thin my stash. Some of the candidates for sale are pretty large kits.  What have you found to be the best way to ship big kits, like a 1/32 A-10 in the US ?  Once you get to a bigger heavier box, It seems to make sense to use UPS or Fedex home, as priority mail gets expensive.  I will probably need to really scrounge for boxes or maybe even pay for boxes from Uline. 

I have sold plenty of regular size kits, and I like being able to drop them at the post office in the middle of the night, but big kits will need to be taken to the counter. 

Any tips are certainly welcome.

I traded my 1/32 B-17 recently, and fell over when they told me the shipping cost.  Unfortunately it's based on package size now, not weight.  And Amazon uses so much of the supply chain the prices are sky high.  I haven't figured out a cheap way yet, and I don't think there is one.

There are a couple of rate shopping sites around. Also called 3pl's

They will rate shop for your box and destination. Often you can make your shipment on their site print the label and drop of or request a pickup. 

12 hours ago, falcon20driver said:

I traded my 1/32 B-17 recently, and fell over when they told me the shipping cost.  Unfortunately it's based on package size now, not weight.  And Amazon uses so much of the supply chain the prices are sky high.  I haven't figured out a cheap way yet, and I don't think there is one.

Some of us fell over when they received it ;-)