Tamiya Liqud Cement

I'm trying to find an alternative to the Ambroid Pro Weld that I liked so much.  I know that MicroMark sells SameStuff but the $9 shipping with sales tax on top is really turning me off on purchasing it.

How does the Tamiya Extra Thin and regular compare?  My local shop used to carry the Squadron stuff but they have since closed up.  The only thing I can find locally is the regular Testors liquid.

Edited by Spectre711

I use Tamiya Extra Thin (TET) exclusively!! Someone did a glue comparison, somewhere, here or possibly BM and TET & a chemical, I think, had the fastest evaporation (drying) times!! I have found that even after a minute or two if I was - oooooh squirrel - distracted and glued something wrong they can be pulled apart and re-glued properly!!

HTH

I use both Tamiya liquid cement with the green cap (extra thin) and Tamiya regular, white cap bottle. The thin is really fast and a great glue. I have used liquid cements for ages but it cam down to what was available. A short list

Testors liquid cement

Tenex 7R

Amboid Pro Weld

Plastrut cement

Tamiya extra thin

Tamiya regular

MEK from plastic supplier stores

I have found you need to use the appropriate liquid cement for what you are doing. If you need some working time then any of the fast setting ones will not work. To this day I still have a bottle of Testors liquid cement on my desk but to be honest I think they changed the formula since it does not smell the same or react the same but still slow setting which is what I want. I think they made it kid proof or something like that.

Just a warning, it seems that Tamiya regular liquid cement has a shelf life. If you don't use it, it will slowly get thicker and not liquidy enough to be brushed on.

My go to glue is Tamiya Extra Thin. When I need a longer working time or a thicker glue, I've found the Testors Model Master Liquid cement in the Back container with needle to be the best option for me.

Joel

Tamiya extra thin is my all around go to..won't use anything else. Very forgiving to use but also a very 'stronge' immediate bond...perhaps the biggest pro for me is no stringy continuation from the application to the model or crusty dried clump in cap when recapped-ala Testors brand..the brush is the truth!

10 hours ago, GEH737 said:

Tamiya Extra Thin has been my "go to" for quite a while.  Never any issues with it.  Tamiya orange cap glue is a bit thicker if you need something like that.

I've tried the Orange cap, as I still have a bottle of it, but found that it dries to quickly for a thicker type glue, and that the brush really isn't the ideal way to apply it.

Joel

Tamiya Extra Thin here for the majority of assembly steps. But I do admit to using the good old fashioned Testors Tube Glue (orange tube) for certain assemblies (*SHOCK...HORROR*... LOL!).

Regards.

You know it`s funny with some of these plastic glues indigenous to North America. From a european standpoint they can seem quite esoteric and almost mythical as these rarely if ever find their way to hobby shops in this region. Ambroid pro weld i`ve never tried, but i presume it is related to Same Stuff which i`ve had the pleasure

of trying when ordering some from Micromark a few years back. Seems to pull its weight and the needle applicator is a nice touch. However i was disappointed to see the Same Stuff vaporizing inside the bottles even with a tight seal. Solution was i poured the stuff to the brink on the remainder of the bottles so no air would be present.

Tamiya extra thin glue is a fantastic glue and it does not vaporize when the lid is attached. I say get both the extra thin and "regular" Tamiya glues. Excellent glues ;-)     

I heard Micromark might have went directly to the suppler to Ambriod to save a few pennies and undercut them.  I have heard it is really the same stuff but with their high shipping and having to pay sales tax (I live in NJ where Micromark is) it is not an option to me.  $5.95 + $8.99 shipping + $0.42 sales tax = $15.36 for a 2oz bottle.  They dont even have a walk up store so I could cut the shipping.  Think the last time I found Proweld it was $4.95.

Edited by Spectre711

Since my supply of Ambroid Pro Weld ran out, I've been using Weld-on #3, which is very similar. Best thing, you can buy it pints or quarts from Amazon, making it much cheaper than most other options, on a per-ounce basis. I simply use a small funnel and refill the old Ambroid bottle, because I love the brush and the bottle keeps the glue from evaporating (as long as I remember to screw the lid back on!).

Ed

Man, I can't believe you guys are even messing around with MEK. That is some nasty stuff that will eventually kill you from overexposure. 

We dipped our main landing gear rims from our UH-60's into that stuff and it stripped the paint right off!

In the immortal words of the late Steve Irwin, "Danger, Danger, Danger!!!

Tim

1 hour ago, hawkwrench said:

Man, I can't believe you guys are even messing around with MEK. That is some nasty stuff that will eventually kill you from overexposure. 

I know what you mean.  Used to use this in the paint machines for thinning and cleaning.  Most stuff we use in this hobby is toxic to some extent so good ventilation and smart usage is a must.

• 5 years later...

Can anyone comment on the effect of Tamiya Extra Thin over time? I'm wondering if the glued area changes in any way over time. Does it age well? I used 2 part epoxy to attach a magnet to 3d printed parts a year ago and am seeing a change in the piece that radiates upward, like a plume of gas almost, from the join. Looking for a glue that will not off gas, I guess. 

L

I found that it causes ghost seams and weakens load bearing joints over time . I stopped using solvent based glues on seams that will be visible on the finished model in favor of cyanoacrylates to eliminate the ghost seams and I replace the styrene pins and tabs of load bearing joints with steel pins.