Tamiya Liqud Cement

As I recall Ambroid pro weld sets very quickly,  the parts start to stick together quickly with little to no time to adjust.  Tamiya Extra thin seems to set slower, giving more time to adjust the parts.  I agree that Weld-on #3 is the closest to Pro Weld. I like to use it with a touch and flo applicator.

I like to use different glues for different tasks. For major assembly, like a fuselage, I really like Weld on ... or ProWeld . For most other tasks, I like Tamiya Extra Thin, or Mr Hobby Mr Cement S

For joining styrene plastic to styrene plastic as used in model kits, I have used exclusively Tamiya extra thin for so long, I don:t even consider anything else anymore.  I went throug ha variety of glues from Tanex to Testors.  Tanex was supposed to be good but every time I went to use it, the glue had evaporated out.  Was just way too unstable.  Tamiya just works and once I landed on it, it became my standard.  I just buy a jar or two a year, one jar lasts me a long time so there is also that.  Tamiya glue even though something I use a lot of is one of the cheaper modeling tools I use because a standard jar lasts me most of a year.  

At this point it is not that I won:t try something else, it is just not worth thinking about as Tamiya extra thin just works.

On 12/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, Cbk57 said:

I have used exclusively Tamiya extra thin for so long, I don:t even consider anything else anymore…I just buy a jar or two a year, one jar lasts me a long time so there is also that.  Tamiya glue even though something I use a lot of is one of the cheaper modeling tools I use because a standard jar lasts me most of a year.  

At this point it is not that I won:t try something else, it is just not worth thinking about as Tamiya extra thin just works.

Psst….I know know something just as good and cheaper. You might even have it on hand to try. 

What I use all the time now. I refill in the green bottle. 

6 hours ago, Tank said:

Psst….I know know something just as good and cheaper. You might even have it on hand to try. 

What I use all the time now. I refill in the green bottle. 

This kind of thing is so comical.

If you are going to go down that route then why not go the whole way.
Cellulose thinners gives similar results and is much more cost effective at about £23 for 5 litres as opposed to £28 for 1 litre.

Someone brought the airbrush cleaner thing to our attention either here or on M2 a few years ago. Promptly bought a bottle and I'm sure it's a lifetime supply now.

My go-to for fast setting liquid cement is Styrene Tack-It II which is the same as the long discontinued Tenax 7R. I use it out of a repurposed Tamiya Extra Thin jar. And my choice for the time being for the heavy lifting is the discontinued Model Master Liquid Cement For Plastic Models #8872 although I'll still use good ol' Testors orange tube paste cement for wing and fuselage halves.

7 hours ago, WymanV said:

Someone brought the airbrush cleaner thing to our attention either here or on M2 a few years ago. Promptly bought a bottle and I'm sure it's a lifetime supply now.

M2 or at least that is where I went back to grab the original video I saw. There are a few others on YouTube that talk about it but this is the earliest one I know about.

I am used to how Tamiya cement works, I am not really interested in experimenting.  That was the point of my post.  A bottle of tamiya cement is cheap for how long it lasts.  Find something else that for $8.00 you can use on a regular basis and lasts most of a year.  If I wanted to save money on my modeling habit it would be far more efficient to buy fewer models as I still buy more than I can build.

On 2/28/2017 at 7:26 PM, SinisterVampire319 said:

Unless you are using it on Pegasus kits. 

Would you mind expanding on this?  I'm about to start a Pegasus Me-262 and the two glues I use the most are Tamiya Extra Thin and the good ol' classic Testors tube glue in the orange tube.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Cbk57 said:

If I wanted to save money on my modeling habit it would be far more efficient to buy fewer models as I still buy more than I can build.

Blasphemy !!!!

(looks in mirror.....)

:sarcasm_on:

37 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Blasphemy !!!!

(looks in mirror.....)

:sarcasm_on:

For one new Tamiya F-35 I could buy 8 bottles of Tamiya extra thin.  And have money left over for a latte at Starbucks which also costs more than one bottle of Tamiya extra thin.  The stuff relative to use is literally cheaper than water.

Edited by Cbk57

on an semi-related tangent, this reminds me of a co-worker who would show up every morning holding two large cups of $tarbux while b!tching about the price of gasoline....

:bandhead2:    :bandhead2:    :bandhead2:    

On 12/12/2022 at 6:45 AM, echolmberg said:

Would you mind expanding on this?  I'm about to start a Pegasus Me-262 and the two glues I use the most are Tamiya Extra Thin and the good ol' classic Testors tube glue in the orange tube.

Thanks!

I believe some of the Moebius and Pegasus kits are ABS. Some glues formulated for styrene won’t work. I don’t use Tamiya so can’t comment there but Bondene and Tenax have worked fine on the Pegasus kits I’ve built.