Calling all AH-64 Apache experts

Hi all,

Does anyone on here know of any differences found between the common stencil data on the AH-64A and -64D (with FCR)?

Or better still does anyone have half of the 1/48 Two Bobs AH-64D OIF sheet that they would be willing to sell?

MTIA

Scott

What ive noticed is that on the AH-64E Guardian, the stencils and US ARMY lettering are round, not the standard square type they have used for decades. Very interesting. The Hasegawa E comes with the round lettering decals.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
  • 3 years later...

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I would post my Apache-related question here.

I am building an Academy 1/72 AH-64D Block II Apache at the moment. My plan is to complete it as a US Army late-D with the TOMMA antenna fitted, in service in Afghanistan in the middle of the last decade. I plan to include it in a revetment diorama with a late service OH-58D Kiowa. My query is:

In relation to an AH-64D sitting in a revetment, awaiting a call-out for a mission or assigned to the "QRF" role, would the pilot's and co-pilot/gunner's helmets be sitting in the cockpit, awaiting the speedy arrival of the crew, or would the helmets be stored outside the cockpit (on top of the EFAB under the entrance doors) or elsewhere close to the aircraft? 

If the helmets were left in the cockpit, is there a place or position where they would normally be placed? 

I have searched for cockpit photos of AH-64Ds in Afghanistan but have had no joy. Thanks for any assistance.

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver

I  have a older issue of the Revellogram 1/48 kit, and I'm not sure the kit decals ae that accurate and are actually even a real bird. Does anyone have a set of 1/48 they don't need for a A model Apache, or something that can be used on that kit and be accurate?

On 2/23/2017 at 3:54 PM, salvador001 said:

What ive noticed is that on the AH-64E Guardian, the stencils and US ARMY lettering are round, not the standard square type they have used for decades. Very interesting. The Hasegawa E comes with the round lettering decals.

Rod.

That's incorrect. Here's a shot of a AH-64E from the 101st I took at the Dayton airshow. It still uses the standard blocked lettering. 

20190623_092947

Tim

4 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

That's incorrect. Here's a shot of a AH-64E from the 101st I took at the Dayton airshow. It still uses the standard blocked lettering. 

20190623_092947

Tim

Actually, @salvador001 is correct, the lettering in your photo does differ in comparison to the previous style, as seen here:

0225.jpg

If you look closely at the letters 'R' and 'S', you can see the straight edges with angled corners, whereas in your pic they have distinct curves (as do 'D' and 'U', but they're harder to see) - note especially the 'leg' of 'R'...

....less obvious are the centre 'bar' of 'E', which is equal with the top and bottom in the new style, and the middle of 'M', which now has a flat bottom edge, rather than coming to a point...

Edited by andyf117
10 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Um, yep your right and I'm wrong. I'll just crawl back into my UH-60 corner and eat my big ole "shut the heck up" sammich!!!

Tim

I’m with you Tim, I didn’t see it at first either.

You got any of that sandwich left?🤷‍♂️

I'm not an Apache expert, anyone know what the purpose is of that raised circular plate that resides between the United and States below?   Doesn't look like an access panel, is it used to mount something?

50855318817_ac7de30ffd_b.jpg

I'm interested to know that myself! I have replicated a set of those circular covers in 1/72. It seems they all cover vents for electronic bays so could it be that they help diffuse the heat plume form the fans in these electronic bays?

LD.

21 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

I'm interested to know that myself! I have replicated a set of those circular covers in 1/72. It seems they all cover vents for electronic bays so could it be that they help diffuse the heat plume form the fans in these electronic bays?

LD.

Interesting, that makes sense I guess. Given those outlets are close to the exhausts, I’d be surprised that those shields would matter but obviously they do.  Last question I had was the purpose of that strange looking “hockey puck on a blade” antenna under the A in “Army” in the above pic.  

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like a good enough place as any to insert a random AH-64 question so here goes...Is there anybody making "A" specific decals anymore? I've got an old Monogram kit and would like to get some decent decals for it. The originals are pretty clapped out. Would "D" model markings work or too obviously wrong?

The radome looks good.  Too bad the only kit it fits is horrible.  The only 1/35 AH-64D Longbow is the old Imex/Kangnam/Hapdong kit.  It is a poor AH-64A kit w/a few of the D parts scabbed onto it.  It isn't really accurate as either version.

07fd328b05c3912836cdda5e621759ae82ca66da

1226df5b7ffcad8f4b75549f7aca9933298143b2

187d86c57922505e72f41d4390fa7a23f7f40e4e

Edited by HeavyArty