I was going through my recently purchased Detail & Scale book on the B-24 (Vol 64) and came across a pic in the colored pic section that shows what appears to be a G/H/J model in desert pink camo that has tail markings I haven't been able to identify.  The tail markings are large white squares on the inner and outer surfaces of the tail fins, with a black S in the square on the outer fin.  Anybody know what unit these marking might be for?  

Oh, and the reason I believe it is a G/H/J model is because it has  what looks like the types bomb aimers window and possibly a seven digit tail number.   

According to Dana Bell's book"Air Force Colors, Vol 2", the white square/block S belongs to the 34th bomb group of the 3rd division of the 8th bomber command, after 13 September, 1943.

Edited by Marv

img001.jpg.bafaf1231956b7bbd9902ff423829df5.jpgThis is the pic I was referring to.  As you can see the marking somewhat resemble those used by the 34th BG, but they're also similar to those used by the 22nd BG.  The thing that it is interesting and makes me wonder about those being 34th BG markings is the terrain in the back ground and what seems to be a desert pink camo job, although it could just be one of the OD schemes that's faded to look khaki.

Edited by afspret
  • 1 year later...