Does Sniper pod give F-15C precision A2G capability?

Some ANG units have equipped their F-15C's with the Sniper AN/AAQ-33 Advanced Targetting Pod, apparently so these  air superiority fighters can ID air targets at a greater distance. My question is: does the Sniper pod give the F-15C an air-to-ground capability? The Sniper pod has many features, in addition to the long-range ID function, such as laser designator, laser spot tracker, GPS, etc., which, if used, should give whatever aircraft that is capable of carrying the Sniper pod an A2G capability. Does anyone know if this is possible? If it is, then mounting some GBU's/JDAM's on a F-15C would be possible. My interest is because I live near the 144FW of the California ANG, which has always been a dedicated air defense unit. This unit has now equipped some of their F-15C's with the Sniper pod. The 194th FS/144FW has also been redesignated as an "Expeditionary Fighter Squadron", and has been deployed to Europe recently as part of the European Theater Security Package. Prior to the F-15C, the 144FW was equipped with F-16C/D Vipers, which had A2G capability. Could we be seeing "mission creep" for the 144FW (and other ANG units), to include A2G? Maybe I'm just overthinking this thing.

Edited by Marv
16 hours ago, Marv said:

Prior to the F-15C, the 144FW was equipped with F-16C/D Vipers, which had A2G capability. Could we be seeing "mission creep" for the 144FW (and other ANG units), to include A2G? Maybe I'm just overthinking this thing.

The 144th Vipers were tasked 100% with air-defense missions.  Same as the Eagles.  No air-ground taskings coming for the Eagle any time soon, despite the Sniper's introduction to the fleet.

Jake

3 hours ago, Marv said:

Thanks for the reply, admiral. I suspect that ongoing MSIP II upgrades probably included the hardware/software to make dropping bombs possible from an F-15C....

The F-15C has always had a latent A2G ability, it's just never been developed. There were talks of adding SDB's to the light grays a few years back but nothing really came of it. 

The intention of introducing the Sniper with the F-15C community is to give the A2A mission longer reach in detection of airborne enemies and foes. It has nothing to do with A2G capability. The onboard radar gives a long reach, but is of less use when intercepting ie drug runners and the like. 

The 144FW stated that they would use the Sniper in a "recon" function in additon to the A2A mission, checking dams etc. after ie earth quakes etc for a rapid recon response function.

In theory you are correct that the F-15C could have an A2G capability, but as already mentioned this is already in the airframe, and the Israelis use their single seat Eagles in this role, however not the USAF.  

Edited by Niels
18 hours ago, Niels said:

The intention of introducing the Sniper with the F-15C community is to give the A2A mission longer reach in detection of airborne enemies and foes. It has nothing to do with A2G capability. The onboard radar gives a long reach, but is of less use when intercepting ie drug runners and the like. 

The 144FW stated that they would use the Sniper in a "recon" function in additon to the A2A mission, checking dams etc. after ie earth quakes etc for a rapid recon response function.

In theory you are correct that the F-15C could have an A2G capability, but as already mentioned this is already in the airframe, and the Israelis use their single seat Eagles in this role, however not the USAF.  

Interesting. I did not know that.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Marv said:

Thanks for the reply, admiral. I suspect that ongoing MSIP II upgrades probably included the hardware/software to make dropping bombs possible from an F-15C....

The F-15 has always had an A2G capability, both the ACS (pre-MSIP) and PACS (MSIP) have supported it; however, they are not tasked with the mission and do not do it. 

Regards,

Murph

Those F-15C's that are modified to carry the Sniper pod also have a bigger screen on the right side of the IP to better view the images from the pod. 

Will try to find photos and link to them.