Airbrush the tub, instrument panel, and what ever else is the same color, like the inside of the fuselage. Then, if the side panels are well defined enough, and not too small, I will even mask and airbrush them black. I do that because I have a hard time getting a neat, sharp line with a brush. 

I also airbrush the larger parts, and then use a paintbrush for the rest.

I do this because it is rarely seen in my scale, and to keep my hands used to using a paintbrush. It seems to be one of those skills that will "go away" if I don't use it somewhere on a model.

It depends.  Larger scale, I'll probably spray the main components and paint any requried details with a brush.  1/72, it kinda depends on what the subject is and if I'm only building one, or a series.  If a small, one-off subject, a brush is normally the tool of choice.  For a larger subject, or if I'm building 2-3 that get the same color, I'll probably spray.  Of course, it really only matters for an open-cockpit plane, as if there is a canopy I'm closing it.

Edited by Joe Hegedus