Sikorsky CH-34, SH-34, UH-34, S-58 what's behind the mesh???!

Hi guys,

The S-58 / H-34 series helicopters has a space (mostly) covered by mesh between the engine firewall and the front bulkhead of the cabin / cockpit. Of course the driveshaft runs through this space (the cooling fan sucks / blows cooling air through the mesh too) as do some control rods / wires. IIRC I have read "somewhere" that the engine oil tank as well as the battery occupies this space too.

Can anyone help me with a photo / drawing of this space? Pictures a-plenty of the engine bay behind the clamshell doors, but not the area behind it. And a visibly bare area underneath the mesh panel(s) isn't very convincing...

sikorsky-h-34-choctaw.jpg.65ccbef5bec366c108f60c6f6da1c201.jpg

Photo Copyright PacificAviationMuseum.

Cheers,

ErikB

Pfffff, I've been searching for days, Googled my fingertips blue, and nada, nix! I post my question -after searching the helicopter sub-forum, mind you- and 5 minutes afterwards I find this walk-around on the site!

But if there are some other photos or maintenance drawings out there, please, they would be very useful to me!

Cheers,

ErikB.

As that isn't a removable panel, you may not have much luck finding out what's in there behind the screen. Here's a couple of ,pics I've got:

IMG13.jpg

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/DDonSS3/library/SH-34J?sort=3&page=1

The grille you're looking for is in the lower left corner of this pic (these pics were taken at the Tennessee State Museum of Aviation):

UH-344s_zps1b28ec12.jpg

UH-343s_zps129538fd.jpg

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/DDonSS3/library/Tennessee Museum of Aviation/UH-34J

Eric,

I have been trying to reply to this message for days but I was locked out by the new system. I have some tech pubs drawings that may help you with you problem  and I have photos if I can track them down. I will get them up on dropbox. PM me and I will send you a link as soon as I find them. I just lost a hard drive and am trying to restore all my archives to my system.

Gary

Gary, do you have a good drawing or photo of the collective lever in your stash? My scratchbuilding skills aren't that good, but maybe I can find a suitable replacement or some bright spark resin entrepreneur could come up with something.

Gents, I had to look through 4 external drives to find these and there may be more. The 4 data point studies are drawn in 1/48 scale and may be printed on an 11x17 for a full size drawing. I will post the photo comparisions of the Gallery and Italeri Fuselage halves on top of these drawings.

These drawings are my own studies please do not publish them without my permission. Here is a link to the H-34/S-58 file in my drop box account.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8fk7s9zdb9qzd2x/AADuVgZMvq_hcVgvi13rdORpa?dl=0

Gary

Gents,

I am glad you can use the information I posted. Keep an eye out on that link as I am still looking for more drawings and photos. I have over 1500 photos of the uh-34/s-58 series spread out over several drives. I will post more as I find them.

Gary

Hey Don, I scratched mine, not perfect, but good enough on that cramped cockpit. These need detail painting yet, about 1/2# ling, maybe 3/4 at most.

BTW, didnt know you were here, great to see a brother out among the people! Lol. The one in your drawing is the copilot's, a simpler one than the pilots.

h34_co10.jpg

Good Seeing you, Lee. It's always good to see another Agape-ite out and about. :wave:

My hands just aren't steady enough for that sort of scratchbuilding. I think I've got a replacement for the copilot's collective, but the pilots, I don't know…