Which 1/48 kit to get to a RCAF Hawk Jet Trainer?

Guys,

I am looking to build an RCAF CT-155 jet trainer, so which 1/48 kit do I need to use? Caracal has a nice set of decals which includes the 419 Sqn. commemorative scheme, which would make for a neat project and model. I know Airfix and Hobby Boss have kits, so I'm looking to find out which kit would be appropriate.

TIA

Brad

Brad

The Airfix kit is better than the Hobbyboss kit from what I have read since I do not have the Hobbyboss kit. There are a couple of issues with the Airfix kit and someone in Australia put out a correction set for the kit. It came with a new nose section to correct the shape. I picked it up a few years ago and to be honest not sure if it is still available. I think it has a new cockpit too and will have to go check.

I have two of the Airfix kits and my plan is one in the regular dark blue scheme and one in a Snow Birds. I figure the Tutors are not going to last forever :)

Both Airfix and Hobby Boss kits will work. I think the nose profile of the Hobby Boss kit is somewhat better than that of the Airfix kit.

I have an Airfix kit that I will be posting for sale tonight or on Saturday; complete with the Caracal CD48118 kit instead of the kit decals (which were missing when I bought the kit).

Kursad

38 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Both Airfix and Hobby Boss kits will work. I think the nose profile of the Hobby Boss kit is somewhat better than that of the Airfix kit.

I have an Airfix kit that I will be posting for sale tonight or on Saturday; complete with the Caracal CD48118 kit instead of the kit decals (which were missing when I bought the kit).

Kursad

If you want to ave the trouble, I am interested in that Kit.

Sean

2 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

someone in Australia put out a correction set for the kit. It came with a new nose section to correct the shape. I picked it up a few years ago and to be honest not sure if it is still available. I think it has a new cockpit too and will have to go check.

They did indeed, R & R Models did the correction set and rather nice it was/is too. I used it on my first build on my 3rd and latest return to the hobby back in 2008

https://www.scalespot.com/reviews/rrhawk127/rrhawk127.htm

Edited by scotthldr
  • 3 weeks later...

So i was able to get a Hobbyboss 1/48 Hawk 127 last night with Squadron's 24 hr sale on a selection of Hobbyboss kits. The sale only applied to Hobbyboss kits and they actually had all three versions of the Hawk in 1/48 in stock.

Got it for $24.95 US with not much shipping since I sent it to a Texas address and not Canada. If I had shipped it to my place here in Canada, the shipping would be $42 US. I did add one In Action but come on, really, $42 for 1 kit and 1 book? It was funny though that I had to pay Texas sales tax. Oh well.

Once I get it, I will be able to compare the Airfix kit to this Hobbyboss release.

Edited by skyhawk174
7 hours ago, jonbryon said:

I seem to remember the HobbyBoss kit received complaints that it wasn't quite 1/48. Could you compare the size of the wings and fuselage with the Airfix kit?

Thanks

Jon

hope that this is not the case, like for their J29 Tunnan (which was sort-of 1/50 scale IIRC) that would be a shame...

I would go with the HB Hawk series. I compared it with the Airfix kit and can say that now the Airfix kit is outdated. Someone complained about wingspan from HB. But I measured the wings and I am of the opinion that HB is more correct than the old Airfix. HB also has the better surface with crisp panel lines and rivets. If every panel is on the right place, well I cannot tell. But is Airfix 110% correct!??

To me it looks like a Hawk, and like always the cockpit could need more attention, PE set; resin seat...

I hope Caracal will release a set with indonesian markings. The TNI-AU had different Hawks in service and still has. Especiall the Hawk 200 singleseater, too. An interior set from Eduard would also be welcome. 

Here a review in a german modelling online magazine:

review: Hawk T MK.100/102 from Hobby Boss

Edited by tobiK
2 hours ago, mingwin said:

hope that this is not the case, like for their J29 Tunnan (which was sort-of 1/50 scale IIRC) that would be a shame...

Not to steer this thread off the rails but I have actually seen a review of the HB Tunnan kit and the reviewer actually said to not even bother picking it up. Instead go get the Tarangus kit of the J29. Way better. That is exactly what I did and it is really nice.

5 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Gary I believe I saw Spencer build one of the Hawks in one of his articles. I think it was in Military Aircraft Modeler? Or was it MiM?

Spencer built an Italeri Hawk in Military in Scale some time ago, March 2009.

Jon

20 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Gary I believe I saw Spencer build one of the Hawks in one of his articles. I think it was in Military Aircraft Modeler? Or was it MiM?

It wasn't the Hobby Boss kit, I can't find a single completed or started build online. Which I find odd.

Guys, I have built the Hobbyboss Hawk 100 kit and it is a fantastic kit.  The shape and nose profile is WAY better than the Airfix kit.  Having said that, you do need to correct a couple of small errors, mainly the number of fences on the leading edges of the wings.  If you can find a couple of resin seats, they will dress up the cockpit really nicely.  Only other real beef was the lack of MDC det cord for the canopy.  There are no etched lines and no decals to represent them.  Also, if you want to have the centerline tank on your CT-155 Hawk, you'll need to reshape the smoke pod (for a Red Arrows jet) that comes in the kit.

Beyond that, if you want a decent 100 series Hawk, CT-155, Hawk 127, get the Hobbyboss kit and steer clear of the Airfix one.

So, here is a shot of the Hobbyboss kit.

13886894_10153753188748365_8890821969394252801_n.jpg

Edited by Colin K

It builds up into a really nice kit.  As far as to whether it is 1/48 or 1/50, after doing some preliminary measurements between this and the Airfix kit, they look to both be 1/48.  The Airfix kit looks a tad smaller, but I think it is due to the fact that it is shorter than the Hobbyboss kit (again, see nose comparison). 

14393267_10153916016953365_5107628583337840030_n.jpg

Edited by Colin K