Which 1/48 kit to get to a RCAF Hawk Jet Trainer?

13 hours ago, Brad-M said:

So just to be clear, I need the Hobby Boss Mk 127 for a CT-155 correct?

Brad

Due to a mistake by Hobby Boss on which parts are included in each issue, the better kit to build a CT-155, Mk 127, or T.2 is actually the 100/102 kit.  Hobby Boss have included the vertical stabilizer parts with the Chaff/Flare dispenser fairing in the Mk 127 kit, while they have included the standard vertical stabilizer without the chaff/flare fairing in the 100/102 kit.

I also agree with Colin that the overall shape (especially the nose) appears to be more accurate on the HB versus the Airfix 100 series. The profile of the aft fuselage above the exhaust is also better.  It may scale out just a tad bigger than the Airfix, but unless you display it right next to an Airfix Hawk I don't think it would be noticeable.

I recently also picked up the 200/208/209 which looks nice.  Just need some current Indonesian markings now...

-Gabe

Darn it I got the Mk 127 kit coming. I should have checked first. I may have been confused as I believe the Australians use the Mk 127 and I thought our aircraft were the same. Hmm have to figure out how to fix without getting another kit. It is plastic after all.

5 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Darn it I got the Mk 127 kit coming. I should have checked first. I may have been confused as I believe the Australians use the Mk 127 and I thought our aircraft were the same. Hmm have to figure out how to fix without getting another kit. It is plastic after all.

If Hobby Boss had included the correct parts in each kit, you would've been correct.  It was their mistake to include the chaff/flare fairing in the 127 kit.

19 minutes ago, Gabe Pincelli said:

If Hobby Boss had included the correct parts in each kit, you would've been correct.  It was their mistake to include the chaff/flare fairing in the 127 kit.

Hey Gabe thanks so much for the info. So I was right sort of for what I needed and as you say it is an HB mix up. I actually have a series of walk around shots I took so I will have to dig those out and have a look.

It is interesting that the Airfix boxing does say Mk 100 on it.

1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

Hey Gabe thanks so much for the info. So I was right sort of for what I needed and as you say it is an HB mix up. I actually have a series of walk around shots I took so I will have to dig those out and have a look.

Yeah, I think the "Mk 100" label on most kits simply refers to the 100 series with the main distinguishing features from other series being the lengthened nose, RWR fairing on the fin leading edge, and provision for wingtip missile rails.  There are numerous detail differences between the various 100 series Hawks including cockpit layout, wing fences, centerline fuel tank/baggage pod, chaff/flare dispenser and other small details.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:01 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Yup.  Biggest thing with the Airfix Hawk 100 is the fact that the cockpit instrument panels are for the early Hawk T1A trainer.

On 3/20/2017 at 9:32 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah, not sure why HB included the chaff/flare fairing, when I have really never seen it used on the RAAF Hawks.  Tail should be a fairly easy fix hopefully.

You beat me to it Colin, you win :thumbsup:

However after having said that you know how it is and a Mk 10 is not a Mk 10. By that I mean there may be some small differences. I think there is a resin version but not sure who makes it now. I think it is Wolfpack? Or was it Quickboost.

2 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

However after having said that you know how it is and a Mk 10 is not a Mk 10. By that I mean there may be some small differences. I think there is a resin version but not sure who makes it now. I think it is Wolfpack? Or was it Quickboost.

Wolfpack makes said seats. 

http://wolfpack-d.com/catalog/htm/wp48143.html

Mark

4 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah, I really slid in under the wire there.:rolleyes:  lol

As for differences, the real seats have a number of differences, but in 48th scale, I don't think they are noticeable at all.  For my Hobbyboss Hawk, I stole the High Planes resin seats I had installed in my older Airfix build, but for my next one, I'll be going with the Wolfpack seats, as they look close enough.

Edited by Colin K

Thanks Colin, I thought so for the seat. Funny thing I just picked up a set of T-50 seats and now I can't remember what I got them for. I thought they were for this Hawk but now that I thnk about it no.

3 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Thanks Colin, I thought so for the seat. Funny thing I just picked up a set of T-50 seats and now I can't remember what I got them for. I thought they were for this Hawk but now that I thnk about it no.

Maybe you had a T-38C or a T-38M in mind - these both use a Mk16L seat that us pretty much identical to those used in the T-50.

Ok, I picked up my Hobby Boss 1/48 Hawk 100/102 kit today from the LHS in Victoria during my visit with my daughter. She gave me a couple of hours to hang out with a few of the local club guys. I noticed that most pics of the RCAF Hawk has a cubic ACMI pod on the left wing tip, where can I get one of those? Also, is that a drop tank under the belly? It's not in the kit. I have my excellent decals from Caracal coming to me along with some resin seats. Lastly, for now, what colour of blue is the CT-155 painted?

TIA

Brad

Edited by Brad-M

SO it is pretty funny that we are talking RCAF Hawks here and no one has put upa picture of it as yet. Here is one I took last summer.

33612239206_e51aef48ae_z.jpgRCAF CT-155217 pic 1 by Chris Aleong

And since we are talking tails on the Hawk here are a couple of shots

33652816115_9505cf3908_z.jpgRCAF CT-155271 pic 2 by Chris Aleong

33612237356_e9329bb989_z.jpgRCAF CT-155217 pic 4 by Chris Aleong

So I should be able to something with the HB Mk127 and cut away the box at the bottom of the tail and not have to buy the Mk.100 kit.

Edited by skyhawk174