Which 1/48 kit to get to a RCAF Hawk Jet Trainer?

2 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

Nice pics Chris. Is that a drop tank under the belly?

Brad

Yes there is a drop tank there but it is a funny shape. It has flat sides for clearances. I know I did a walk around of it several years ago when it was here in Edmonton and I noticed the shape. I don't think the Airfix kit has a drop tank and not sure about the HB kit either.

59 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

Ok, I picked up my Hobby Boss 1/48 Hawk 100/102 kit today from the LHS in Victoria during my visit with my daughter. She gave me a couple of hours to hang out with a few of the local club guys. I noticed that most pics of the RCAF Hawk has a cubic ACMI pod on the left wing tip, where can I get one of those? Also, is that a drop tank under the belly? It's not in the kit. I have my excellent decals from Caracal coming to me along with some resin seats. Lastly, for now, what colour of blue is the CT-155 painted?

TIA

Brad

A couple of things on the Hawk.  Aircraft that are based in Moose Jaw don't carry anything on the wingtips, while Hawks in Cold Lake have the ACMI pod and an inert AIM-9.  You can use an ACMI pod out of a Hasegawa weapons set (D I believe), or, if you have the Tamiya Aggressor F-16 kit, there are two in that kit.  Only things you'll need to add are the wire antennas and the balance weights (as in the photo that Chris posted).  The centerline pod is both for luggage and fuel.  There is a similar looking pod in the kit, but it is a smoke tank for a Red Arrows Hawk.  I took mine and reshaped it to more closely resemble what RCAF jets carry.  I have seen the odd Hawk fly without the centerline pod, but it's extremely rare.  Standard colour for the Hawk is FS 15044 blue.

Here's a link to a photo of three Hawks, based at 15 Wing Moose Jaw, just to show you the wingtip config for those jets. (Photo credit to Dirk Jan de Riddler)

http://www.ridder.aero/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/20150423_xxxx_4677.jpg

Seeing Chris's photos reminds me that I need to get another Hawk kit and do up that 419 anniversary jet!

Edited by Colin K