Hi! I'd like to know if the nose and main gear bay doors of the F/A-18B Top Gun also have red edges. Can't find any pictures of the real jet's gear bays on the net. Any pictures of the areas on the real plane will also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Image result for F/A-18B, TOP GUN

Edited by flybywire
12 minutes ago, Scooby said:

The reason it is red is so when we bump our head on the edge the blood doesn't show on the door.

At least that is how I have always explained it. I think I only ever did it once, maybe twice. :)

Man, I once banged my head REALLY bad on the nosegear door of a 737 when I was chocking the wheels at night. Hurt so bad I literally saw stars (true!). Had blood-matted hair after the flight was done being turned around, and went for ice.

1 hour ago, Emvar said:

Lol.....wish they'd do it on airliners.... had 10 staples to the skull after whacking my head on the nose gear door on the Gimli Glider.

Hmmmm.....head trauma.  That explains a lot.

Explains a lot about me too..........

On 2/27/2017 at 7:35 AM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Man, I once banged my head REALLY bad on the nosegear door of a 737 when I was chocking the wheels at night. Hurt so bad I literally saw stars (true!). Had blood-matted hair after the flight was done being turned around, and went for ice.

It's a wonder commercial ramp operations haven't adopted the David Clark flight deck cranials given health and safety as it now is. I wear a yellow one all the time as I'm a ramp controller for a Classic aircraft collection.

If I shaved my hair off my head, you would find a road map of scars from Phantom bites. 😥 I lost more blood from hanging panels than I Care to remember. I'm not sure if red edges would have mattered!

5 hours ago, riversphynxz said:

hi, any pictures of the crew names and the buno of this a/c?

Bu.no. 161714.

A bit strange, as the aircraft apparently was SOC in 2002, and scrapped in 2008 - but Superscale 481173 indicates the markings were carried in 2006? According to this sheet, the pilots name is VADM D.M. Bennett. 
Anyway, this Hornet flew in this scheme from ~1995 until retired to AMARC from what I can find? 

Edited by Niels

If you can do a search, I've posted a TOPGUN history of this jet. The black jet story, canopy names and all that jazz... may and/or be on zone5...

Mans if someone wants to post a scan of the 48064 instructions, that covers it as well. 

brian