AH-1G Cobra engine exhaust...

I´m currently working on the AH-1G kit in 1:72 by Special Hobby (WIP in the Helicopter GB). I just have praised the kit for accuracy and excellent engineering - something I shouldn´t have done, I think! Because now I have something that simply doesn´t look right:

IMG_6536_zpsyqddf3wy.jpg

The exhaust opening of the engine looks different than the pictures I know. But as you will see on the next picture, this strange ring that I glued on the end of the exhaust opening should go there, at least according to the instructions:

IMG_6534_zps1hqey99f.jpg

Any idea if that´s a correct feature? And if not - how do I correct that?

And a bonus question: I attached two small rings (one can be seen on the first picture below the fuselage), what is their purpose?

HAJO

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

I´m currently working on the AH-1G kit in 1:72 by Special Hobby (WIP in the Helicopter GB). I just have praised the kit for accuracy and excellent engineering - something I shouldn´t have done, I think! Because now I have something that simply doesn´t look right:

IMG_6536_zpsyqddf3wy.jpg

The exhaust opening of the engine looks different than the pictures I know. But as you will see on the next picture, this strange ring that I glued on the end of the exhaust opening should go there, at least according to the instructions:

IMG_6534_zps1hqey99f.jpg

Any idea if that´s a correct feature? And if not - how do I correct that?

And a bonus question: I attached two small rings (one can be seen on the first picture below the fuselage), what is their purpose?

HAJO

OK first off the exhaust is pretty much a straight pipe out the back.  The pipe has a very slight raised area around the exhaust.  In 1/72nd scale it isn't worth dealing with or could be replicated with a layer of thick paint.  Very thin.  Hardly noticeable.  I think Special Hobbies is incorrect on that. 

As for the small ring below the fuselage, that is one of the aft tiedown rings.  They usually weren't installed.  They were simply screwed in when they were needed.  I looked over a bunch of my figures and they weren't there in the pics I looked at.
Floyd

Regarding Cindy Ann, interesting to see the changes to some of the markings between those two pics.   Also interesting to see how different the paint looks in those two pics.  In the first, it really appears to be that late-war, dark green color, while in the other one, it's standard Army OD.  Regardless, she's a real pretty bird.

Thought I read somewhere that pilots preferred the dual minigun turret because of jamming issues with the 40mm.   Also, with the standard turret configuration, you had very different ballistics between the two weapons so I'm guessing that the gunner would only be able to fire one at a time. 

Love the G, really hope one day we get a nice 1/35 kit of it. 

Edited by 11bee