Tamiya F-14A 1/48 VF-84

Finally done. I was building her since November. Mostly out of the box except nose gear damper which I made from metalic tube. People say it is a great kit and indeed it is but there are few things that really grind my gears like the windscreen starboard edge fit or the wing gloves which are hard to glue without damage to the retractable vane panel lines. I used MM acrylics for major colors and other brands mostly Tamiya, Gunze and Vallejo for detailing. I will shoot few more pictures showing details some time later.

High res pictures can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97358250@N06/albums/72157678934454831

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Exceptionally well built. This totally subjective, but to me the panel line wash is a bit stark. Using too dark of a wash runs the risk of making it look like a die-cast kit. It's the age old battle of balancing realism with artistic license. Overall, it's an extremely well done build.

11 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Exceptionally well built. This totally subjective, but to me the panel line wash is a bit stark. Using too dark of a wash runs the risk of making it look like a die-cast kit. It's the age old battle of balancing realism with artistic license. Overall, it's an extremely well done build.

I agree, the panel line wash is way too dark. I was struggling with gray tone selection and all the grays I got in stash seemed too light or too brownish to me. I finally used almost black one and looks too dark now.

Thanks,

Dan

Great build. The details pop out very nicely. If you get around to it, a few belly pics would be awesome too! 

So did you use MM acryl for the main gull gray? How did you like the paint? I am now about to use that paint very soon but have had some concerns (link). What did you use to thin it and did you find it to adhere strongly to the surface? 

16 hours ago, Janissary said:

Great build. The details pop out very nicely. If you get around to it, a few belly pics would be awesome too! 

So did you use MM acryl for the main gull gray? How did you like the paint? I am now about to use that paint very soon but have had some concerns (link). What did you use to thin it and did you find it to adhere strongly to the surface? 

I sprayed heavely diluted MM acrylics for both white and gull gray at very low pressure. I used original green bottle Testors thinner for acrylics. Honestly they sprayed quite nicely from very short distance with the trigger pulled back very gently. I had to lay 3 layers to get nice coverage. Generally speaking I was positively surprised however I tried some mat MM acrylics recently and had nozzle clogging issue. The gloss MM acrylics seemed to have no issue. As for the adhesion - I used Vallejo primer to which the paint sticks well unless the primer flakes off :). I also tried MM spraying acrylics on a clear plastic and they stick ok but would be very careful with masking tape as I observe pull up on the sharp edges (could be bad surface cleanness). The huge advantage of these paints is that they do not stink.

• 4 weeks later...

As already mentioned, albeit probably with humor, despite of the markings, this is a very good looking Tomcat. Neat and clean build.

Hard to comment on the panel lines since the sun shines directly on to my display...

Who can not love hi-viz Navy planes especially if it's an F-14!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...