f6f Hellcat 'shelf model' colors

I'm building up a non-anal 1/72 Matchbox Hellcat as a shelf model.  I'd like to finish it in a relatively simple scheme, blue/gray.  I'd like to ask the group a question whose answer will save me a bunch of time:  What were the colors involved (blue upper, gray lower) and any chance someone could point me towards the Tamiya rattle can colors that would be reasonable if not precise?

Thanks very much.

3 hours ago, polo1112 said:

So sorry but what is a non-anal model ?

I'm guessing it's the opposite of a full-on AMS model like you find on so many shelves of doom.

Very early (as in prototype) Hellcats were Navy blue-gray over gray that was a match for modern light gull gray If you're REALLY non-anal, maybe AS5 over AS16?

Mid scheme is Navy three color, sea blue top, mid blue sides and white bottoms: maybe AS8, 19 and 20?

Late scheme is over-all sea blue.: AS8?

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Ah, 'non-anal' is closely related, in my understanding, to 'build it neatly out of the box, do the best possible finish given the limitations of the chosen materials, and enjoy the thing'.

And thanks, folks, for the help. 

Edited by peter havriluk
gratitude
6 hours ago, Hal Marshman Sr said:

Negative on the similarity to Light Gull Gray. The USN Light Gray used did not have the slight tannish cast to it that LGG does.

Yeah, but judging from the OP, it's close enough for his purposes. Hell, it's close enough for mine -- at least the Model Master enamel version.

5 hours ago, Hal Marshman Sr said:

Suit yourself, but Mod Mast Enamels has a much better match if you want to use it. Don't know the number. Heck, even RLM 63 is a better match.

I knew I shouldn't have chimed in. The subject has been hashed out pretty extensively in the past.

Cheers.

23 hours ago, Hal Marshman Sr said:

Negative on the similarity to Light Gull Gray. The USN Light Gray used did not have the slight tannish cast to it that LGG does.

He was specifically asking for the closest in Tamiya spray cans. What is closer? I'm guessing he won't use that scheme anyway since only a couple of F6Fs were ever painted that way.

I conceded to using the MM blue/gray I already owned for the upper surfaces, means breaking out the airbrush and compressor tomorrow night.  As for the gray underside, I satisfied myself that Tamiya rattle-can light grey primer would do just fine for my purposes.  Both these paints have the advantage of already being in the shop, no road trip to fetch paint.  And they pass my reasonability test of seeing if they look like they're reasonably close to the colors in the centerfold of my 'in action' Hellcat book.

Thanks, everybody, for the insight and help.  Very much obliged.