1/48 Tamiya F-14A loadout and add-ons needed

Hi all

I pulled the trigger and purchased the Tamiya F-14 off of E-bay. I'm also getting the Furball Colors and Markings I and II sheets. Right now, I'm leaning towards doing one of the four Gulf of Sidra jets. My question is, what (if anything) is needed in the way of aftermarket to get me to these jets? I realize there were two separate incidents, and that they were several years apart, but if there is anything needed for either incident, could you let me know? 

Also, I'm going to be doing a full load-out on the jet. So, I'd like to know what versions of the missiles would be carried during those time periods. Would they be AIM-54A's, or C's, AIM-7E's or M's, and AIM-9L/M's or an earlier model?

Thank's for the help guys. 

Aaron 

Edited by strikeeagle801

For Fast Eagle 102, you have everything you need in the box. For Fast Eagle 107, you'll need the L-shaped tail braces. Of the three available (PE, resin, vinyl), I'm partial to the vinyl. For both Gypsy 202 and 207, you'll need the early gun vent from Steel Beach and the L-shaped tail braces.

Edited by Darren Roberts
4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

For Fast Eagle 102, you have everything you need in the box. For Fast Eagle 107, you'll need the L-shaped tail braces. Of the three available (PE, resin, vinyl), I'm partial to the vinyl. For both Gypsy 202 and 207, you'll need the early gun vent from Steel Beach and the L-shaped tail braces.

Darren

So, if I'm reading this right by the call signs and what I can find on Wikipedia, I need the early gun vents for the aircraft involved in the later (1989) engagement? And do you know what wheels I'd need for either timeframe? 

Aaron 

• 1 month later...

I need the early gun vents for the aircraft involved in the later (1989) engagement?

Yes you do!

The reason for this (actually quite frequent) "obscurity" is that these panels were removable panels and esspecially during cruises were interchanged with other birds and/or hangar queens. You wouldn't have as many replacement parts aboard the boat as you have while on base and if a panel needed maintenance or repair you would go and use a panel from another bird sitting under deck in order to get one jet in the air. On the other hand, the '89 Mig-killers were both Block 80 and 85 birds. As the birds were direly needed in the fleet upgrades and changes on behalf of the manufacturer (if not possible on depot level) were only done infrequently and not all Block-upgrades could be done to the entire fleet at the same time but just kind of "creeped" into the fleet over time. It was not uncommon to see early block birds with boat tails but already some TCS or two louvre gun grills or birds with a seven louvre gun grill but a newer Block beaver tail etc. Chances are pretty high that the killer birds either just had a replacement panel from another bird or that they were among those ships that just didn't receive the full compliment of all later Block upgrades at that time.

Edited by bushande