Intermmitent paint flow in all my airbrushes

hi mates, i am having a serious problem with my 3 airbrushes, after years painting with my airbrushes, i started to have this problem in all 3 airbrushes, one of them is a brand new, when i am painting, the paint flow is intermmitent, it flows normally and then the paint stops flowing out, i have to pull the trigger farther aft so the paint starts flowing out again with a big splat of paint, no matter what brand of paint i use i have the same problem, i have all my airbrushes torn apart cleaned all the pieces and still have the same problem, this is driving me crazy cause i cant paint freely

Jorge

Acrylic paint? If it dried on the needle's tip that happens. I see it when I'm painting intermittently with pauses when I'm picking up a different part. Thinner paint or flow aid / retarder is supposed to help.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

It may be some dried paint in the tip. even if you clean it regularly it happens. I find Vallejo and LifeColor acrylics are the worst offenders for me. I don't think it's anything that can't be easily fixed with a really good cleaning. I soak then scrape the inside of the tip with a tool about every 3-4 months. If you have a high power magnifier look at the inside of the tip before and after. HTH

I experienced this issue this weekend and it was very frustrating. I was using Badger Anthem 155. I have narrowed the issue down to the needle bearing.

While researching the issue, it  looks like the problem can also be caused by the air cap not being tight enough and not sealing, or damaged tip. 

You stated this is happening with all types of paint. Could you also let us know what your air source is, and what models of airbrush you are using?

If you are using a siphon feed airbrush, are your color cups and bottle lids clean and unobstructed?  I have found color cups/bottle toppers can also lead to weird issues.

It is kind of strange even a new airbrush is experiencing issues. Perhaps there are multiple issues happening at the same time.  Are you using the same hose for all three aibrushes?

Edited by Kurt H.

If the problem involves all three airbrushes, including a brand new one, I would be looking at the hose/compressor area. I would check that all connections are tight and there are no minute leaks. 

It would be extremely rare for three A/Bs to go belly up at the same time. Thus I think the problem is not the airbrushes.

Bob

thanks for all the tips, it looks like some of my paints went bad, i tried with a new tamiya paint and one from model master and no problems at all, first time happening this to me, so from now on i will try not to have so many paints in storage for so long, or having them stored in a cool place.

Jorge

On 2/28/2017 at 3:43 AM, oppenheimerj said:

thanks for all the tips, it looks like some of my paints went bad, i tried with a new tamiya paint and one from model master and no problems at all, first time happening this to me, so from now on i will try not to have so many paints in storage for so long, or having them stored in a cool place.

Jorge

Jorge,

So the paints turned out to be old.

Glad you figured out that it wasn't the airbrushes.

Cheers!