UAE and Russia to "jointly" develop a new fighter (!?)...and buy some Su-35S

while scrolling down on FB i stumble on an info that UAE was to buy Su-35S in interim of a next gen MiG-29 that would be developed jointly by UAE (joining the Russian knowledge with UAE money i guess)

i was a bit doubtful, as i tough that UAE was one of  USA allies in the M.E. and thus would stay with US hardware... the source might also being questionable, so i did some more search, and it seems that it could be legit info...

link bloomberg

link defense-blog

link National interest

what you guys think of this? 

• 2 weeks later...

One thought is that they really have no interest in Russian jets, just using this as leverage to get approval to purchase the F-35.  

Currently, due to the Israeli lobby, no Arab nation is appproved to purchase the JSF.   

12 hours ago, 11bee said:

One thought is that they really have no interest in Russian jets, just using this as leverage to get approval to purchase the F-35.  

Currently, due to the Israeli lobby, no Arab nation is appproved to purchase the JSF.   

i agree... that...or the fact that the USA is no more seen like a reliable partner for many countries...and nothing shows that it will go any better... 

what if emirates really wanted to develop their industries, and diversify their industrial activities? isn't Dubaï the center of the world? ...at least, their airport is certainly is, now.

Edited by mingwin
On 3/9/2017 at 10:25 AM, 11bee said:

I dunno about the JFS, but I know Boeing has tried to woo Saudi Arabia at least with a stealthy version of the F-15E, the "Silent Eagle." 

But in this case, I think it's sincerely because the Su-35S is a beast of a fighter. I'm interested in seeing the MiG-29 the UAE and Russia would develop. I'm guessing it'll be something similar to the MiG-29K or MiG-35.