F-16 experts advice required

Hello!  I am finishing off the Tamiya 1/48 F-16CJ and I would like to know what that small round clear piece that goes on the fuselage above the stabilators on each side is.  are those  lights, or a sight glass or something else?  pictures would be extra helpful.

thanks!

-Ramon

Interesting that the F-16 seems to be the only modern jet that has tail illum lights a la commercial airliners. Any idea why it was in the design? Jets both before and after didn't seem to need it

3 hours ago, Niels said:

Check out www.f-16.net - you should find all you need there. 

I searched through that website for hours. If a picture of that light is there,I must have missed it. 

Technically it is called a "formation light".  Most F-16s (all USAF afaik) have switched to IR lighting which doesn't "light up" the tail (in the visible spectrum). I haven't found ay decent pics online.

There are clear photos of the lights in Jake's Early & Late Viper books.  Basically the forward third of the clear circular lens is masked, I don't know why....

8 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Technically it is called a "formation light".  Most F-16s (all USAF afaik) have switched to IR lighting which doesn't "light up" the tail (in the visible spectrum). I haven't found ay decent pics online.

There are clear photos of the lights in Jake's Early & Late Viper books.  Basically the forward third of the clear circular lens is masked, I don't know why....

Hmmm... I don't have access to the books, but you are painting a clearer picture for me. By masked, do you mean it has been painted over with the fuselage color, or am I misunderstanding?

-Ramon

Best I could find in my files, I took these at Nellis in 2008 I think.  This is the starboard light on a Block 32 C-model.  

h6BcydC.jpg

This second image is a contrast-enhanced crop of the first image to emphasize detail. Note the "masked" pattern and the six fastener screws in the surrounding bezel.

iP6CmT9.jpg

Edited by habu2
11 hours ago, habu2 said:
11 hours ago, habu2 said:

Best I could find in my files, I took these at Nellis in 2008 I think.  This is the starboard light on a Block 32 C-model.  

h6BcydC.jpg

This second image is a contrast-enhanced crop of the first image to emphasize detail. Note the "masked" pattern and the six fastener screws in the surrounding bezel.

iP6CmT9.jpg

h6BcydC.jpg

iP6CmT9.jpg

this is EXACTLY the information I was looking for - thanks dude!

:-D

-Ramon

On 2017-03-01 at 2:58 AM, torchf4 said:

Interesting that the F-16 seems to be the only modern jet that has tail illum lights a la commercial airliners. Any idea why it was in the design? Jets both before and after didn't seem to need it

Not modern by any standard, but the AJ/AJS 37 Viggen had a similar light, to light the call sign number on the fin. According to some sources, so that the pilot would find "his" aircraft on the flight line (or rather, in the dispersed maintenance spots in the woods) in the dark. I guess it could be helpful identifying your team mates in the air too, unless the situation requires lights to be turned off. 

6 hours ago, iaf-man said:

This isn't the central spot on walkarounds' photos )))

Here are my humble efforts,again-just an area photos

f-16a_51_of_68.jpg

f-16a_52_of_68.jpg

f-16a_58_of_68.jpg

Those are awesome pictures!  even when you are looking right at that light, its still hard to see.  these are very helpful, thank you!

-Ramon

I work on Block 40/42's upgraded to CCIP. Like others have mentioned, they are formation lights and they do appear to be masked in the forward section. On our jets it just looks like they painted over the forward part of the lens. 

What base are you going to do? 

Edited by Ljmorrow92
9 hours ago, EagleAviation said:

This is an extract from my F-16 book, "Viper Under The Skin". Hope this helps

Those lights are unique to the Block 50+/52+.  Earlier Blocks are drastically different, and different again if we're discussing the original parts or the more recent parts modified for compatibility with NVGs.

Jake

19 minutes ago, jmel said:

Those lights are unique to the Block 50+/52+.  Earlier Blocks are drastically different, and different again if we're discussing the original parts or the more recent parts modified for compatibility with NVGs.

Jake

Well in our block 30s delivered in 1989-1990 those lights look like this 

INH_5140_zpsg0zkgogd.jpg

52 minutes ago, EagleAviation said:

Well in our block 30s delivered in 1989-1990 those lights look like this 

Those are the original, non-NVG friendly lights fitted to Vipers through Block 52.

On February 28, 2017 at 7:58 PM, torchf4 said:

Late C/D an E. model 15's had Logo lights installed as a part of MISIP, just aft at the base outboard of each vertical Stab.