Need feedback re: F-14B conversion

I'm getting set to release a B conversion for the new Tamiya kit, but wanted to get some feedback before I released it. My original plan was to have a full meal deal package. It would include all the necessary B upgrades as well as BOL rails and everything needed for a LANTIRN upgrade as well. I was going to price it at around $35. I got to thinking, though, that some may not want the LANTIRN update and wouldn't want to pay the extra money. My question for you who are interested in the conversion is would you rather have the full meal deal or should I sell the two sets separately? 

Full package. It's telling that you can look at the model gallery and see the number of LANTIRN-capable Bs vs. not. Few pre-LANTIRN F-14B decal sets are still on the market. It'll be nice to get a full conversion and even if I don't use it all, there will be a project down the line that I can use the leftovers.

Edited by Swordsman422

Full, can always use the Lantirn stuff on a old Hasegawa kit if not used on the Tamiya. However, I do not see me ever making a B model. Would do a D model.

Darren –

You’ve provided a lot of unique products to fill some niche gaps over the years, and clearly, based on the responses above, there is interest and demand for the product you are advertising here.  I’m not a huge Tomcat fan, so I can’t really speak to my interest in a “full meal deal” set, but I do look at the price point, and the number of “fixes” and resin parts under consideration, and I have some concerns.  I mean this with all sincerity, and you’re a great guy, but frankly, I think you need to hear a bit of direct feedback regarding your proposal.

I’ve purchased a few of your products over the years, and the end result has been unfortunately disappointing.  While they are unique, and fill a need, they are often soft, lacking in detail, and they require a lot of work to bring up to the same quality/appearance as the rest of the kit.  Again, you do a great job of filling the category of products that aren’t going to be produced by anybody else, but when you start talking about a $35, major conversion set, I think you need to step up your game on product quality.

I don’t have nearly as much experience on casting as you do, but I think the most readily apparent conclusion is the fact you do not pressure cast your parts.  I don’t know if you vacuum depressurize your molds or not, but I’d suspect that is another source of the inconsistency in your casted parts. Between soft details and shapes, casting bubbles, and leakage flash, the end result is typically not what your customers expect.  And frankly, it is not keeping pace well with the other resin companies out there.  I think this is too bad, because you do provide unique products, fulfill a void for the super-detail oriented modeler, and are a genuinely nice guy.  I’d like to see your product succeed wildly, and not be openly mocked in forums for the issues noted above.

Long answer to the original question, but would I pay $35 for a major conversion with the current, typical SB casting quality?  I would not.  I might pay significantly less for a one off, smaller component that I couldn’t get elsewhere, but for that cost, I’d expect a major kit to have greater fidelity, detail, and accuracy than the products I’ve purchased from SB previously.

Again, none of this is meant to be personal.  I’d like to see your products become the leading edge for accuracy and quality in their particular market share, so I hope you take this opinion into consideration when looking at your options for this F-14B conversion.

Thanks for all of feedback. To Waco, I appreciate your input and I don't take it personally. I've said before, and I'll continue to say, that I'm not one of the big boys of resin. It's an extension of my hobby to help others out and help supplement my teacher salary. It is not my main source of income. I've always said I'm not the best scratch builder and my casting skills are functional. My business model is directed at the average to above average modeler. I know that my products will not please the modeler who wants ultra detail. I'm okay with that. No one can please everyone, and if they try, they will go crazy. I try and set my prices based on what I would pay as a modeler and how much work goes into it. I could probably set the price at $30, but if time were factored in, I wouldn't be making very much. However, I was going back and forth whether $35 was too much, so your feedback is important. As to the product not meeting a standard, that's different for everyone, and like I said, I know I won't please everybody. I continue to learn about casting and make improvements as time allows, but family comes first. Maybe someday I'll be able to produce parts that meet the standard you're looking for. In the meantime, keep giving feedback, as that's how improvements are made.

Fair enough!  Clearly, you've got fans, so I wish you best of luck with this effort.  Sounds like you've got a good balance, and family will be around long after any business/hobby time we pursue.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Thanks for all of feedback. To Waco, I appreciate your input and I don't take it personally. I've said before, and I'll continue to say, that I'm not one of the big boys of resin. It's an extension of my hobby to help others out and help supplement my teacher salary. It is not my main source of income. I've always said I'm not the best scratch builder and my casting skills are functional. My business model is directed at the average to above average modeler. I know that my products will not please the modeler who wants ultra detail. I'm okay with that. No one can please everyone, and if they try, they will go crazy. I try and set my prices based on what I would pay as a modeler and how much work goes into it. I could probably set the price at $30, but if time were factored in, I wouldn't be making very much. However, I was going back and forth whether $35 was too much, so your feedback is important. As to the product not meeting a standard, that's different for everyone, and like I said, I know I won't please everybody. I continue to learn about casting and make improvements as time allows, but family comes first. Maybe someday I'll be able to produce parts that meet the standard you're looking for. In the meantime, keep giving feedback, as that's how improvements are made.

I hate to sound sound like a fan boy nor do want to start any trouble.  BUT, Darren, keep up the grat work!!!! I'll be looking forward to a D conversion from u as well ;-)

Edited by goondman
2 hours ago, goondman said:

I hate to sound sound like a fan boy nor do want to start any trouble.  BUT, Darren, keep up the grat work!!!! I'll be looking forward to a D conversion from u as well ;-)

Thanks for the kind words. To clarify, Waco has some valid points that I've thought about addressing, but as I said, time is my biggest enemy.

I'll echo Waco's points. Darren, you have produced resin AM for many of the parts I have searched for in the past, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger for the reasons Waco outlined. But I have to say your choices are great. Also, I understand the lack of time and commend you for having your priorities straight. 

But, I want to encourage you to push it further. I think you have such a big opportunity to capture a good segment of the market and you have major advantages over other vendors (you actively build models, frequent these forums and engage with other modelers, seem very accessible, and are right next to Sprue Bros.) If that leap to the next step involves making simple, one-time changes/additions to your production method, I am confident that the business will be very very profitable. To me, if the sharpness of the details can be improved, other issues like flash or bubbles won't be too much of an issue as they can be dealt with. Given how Tamiya drags its feet with additional variants of their base models (ref. two-seat vipers), you might be sitting on a gold mine with high quality Tomcat B and D conversions. 

Edited by Janissary
On 3/2/2017 at 3:57 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Thanks for the kind words. To clarify, Waco has some valid points that I've thought about addressing, but as I said, time is my biggest enemy.

Time is no friend to any of us.