Questions:

1) are you a kit builder ("it looks like a ... to me" ) or a model builder ("this feature should be in ... version", "the flaps should be raised/lowered in this configuration") ?

2) what version do you intend to build ? Legacy Super-Etendard or Super-Etendard Modernisé ?

3) are you thinking about building a KH Etendard IV ?

Edited by Laurent
5 hours ago, Laurent said:

Questions:

1) are you a kit builder ("it looks like a ... to me" ) or a model builder ("this feature should be in ... version", "the flaps should be raised/lowered in this configuration") ?

I really dislike this seemingly popular sentiment these days. It is just lazy and silly.

Everyone is a "rivet counter" to some degree, if people were not they would have been fine with Starfix Spitfire instead of Eduard Spitfire. But clearly they are not.

Issues with a kit should be discussed freely and ultimately decided to the builder whether he think the issues are significant enough to stop him from buy a kit or not. It is literally just information, nothing more. Honest reviews of restaurants, books, movie etc are not controversial so for the life of me i cant understand why it should be over some plastic model toys. But anyway, i dont really have anything to add directly to the SUE discussion, i just cringe a little at this black & white division. It achieves nothing other than killing information flow.

3 minutes ago, Berkut said:

I really dislike this seemingly popular sentiment these days. It is just lazy and silly.

Everyone is a "rivet counter" to some degree, if people were not they would have been fine with Starfix Spitfire instead of Eduard Spitfire. But clearly they are not.

It depends on the familiarity and fondness for the particular subject. The answer to randypandy831 depends on what he's expecting from the KH kit.

9 hours ago, Laurent said:

I wholly agree with that statement. I've known the real SuE up close and personal, so if you happened to be a kit builder, then you'd go with the Kitty Hawk kit. Otherwise, get the Kinetic kit. It's a much better kit even when it's got some fitting issues.

16 hours ago, randypandy831 said:

whats the scoop with the kitty hawk 1/48 SUE kit? All is see if kinetic kits.

Perhaps this is the case for a valid reason? There's something odd with the radome shape in the Kitty Hawk kit. Then again, I don't like the way Kitty Hawk molded the exhaust cone to be detachable, making it look like a lousy toy if you chose to keep it detachable, which leaves an awful trench of a seam line.

Something dodgy about the height at which the wing root is installed on the fuselaje. It looks as though it were too high to me. 

I'd like the kit to be accurate but I'm not AMS about it. I'm worried more about the fit then anything honestly. I've scene the kitty hawk plastic but have not ran into a build thread to see potential build threats.

Edited by randypandy831
11 hours ago, randypandy831 said:

I'd like the kit to be accurate but I'm not AMS about it. I'm worried more about the fit then anything honestly. I've scene the kitty hawk plastic but have not ran into a build thread to see potential build threats.

Builds:
- http://www.themodellingnews.com/2016/12/build-guide-review-pt-i-bruces-take-on.html
- http://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/01/build-guide-review-pt-ii-bruce-finishes.html
- Google Translate from Frenchhttp://fighters.forumactif.com/t77924p50-super-etendard-1-48-kitty-hawk

"but I'm not AMS about it"... the following remarks are "AMS" or "subject-knowledgeable" ?

In France the Super-Etendard (SuE) was upgraded to the Super-Etendard Modernisé (SEM) standard.

1) Wrong seat
KH recycled their Mirage F1C / Jaguar A seat (fabric casing, parachute in metal pan) . The parachute should have a hard casing and not placed in a metal pan. The seat should look like...mk6pho10.jpg

2) Wing flaps and stabilizer incidence
Leading/trailing edge flaps and stabilizer incidence are electrically-powered so they don't drop when the aircraft is parked. KH doesn't offer a raised trailing edge flap option so you'll have to saw the actuator fairings. The flaps down option also requires some sawing work: the Etendard IV doesn't have outer wings (foldable parts) leading edge flaps but the SuE/SEM has so you'd have to saw and lower them if the trailing edge flaps are down. Stabilizer incidence and trim surfaces are linked to the flaps configuration also.

photo08.jpg

CdG-photo173.jpg

3) Some scratchbuild required to represent a SuE
Fin leading and trailing edge antennas correspond to a SEM, not to a SuE. You'd have to cut them out and put rod antennas instead.

Foto07.JPG
No SuE instrument panel is provided, only the SEM.
Sand the wing station zero leading edge prism if you do a SuE as it's a SEM feature.

4) SuE/SEM stabilizer dog-tooth
KH provides Etendard IV stabilizers (no dog-tooth). Easy to fix but also the SuE/SEM stabilizer leading edge should go up also.

super_etendard_modernisee_28_of_77.jpg

5)  SEM decals
Letters and numbers should be in light grey, not dark gray.

6) something weird in the nose shape

I don't know exactly what's wrong... perhaps the radome diameter is too big. 

Pros of the KH kit over KM:

- it may be cheaper

- surface detailing is more extensive but I don't know about the accuracy

- better lowered airbrakes (hollow with PE part)

- it comes with a ladder and more weapons; however KM comes with more fuel tank options... the small wing tanks can be used on the KH Etendard IV: KH doesn't provide these when the plane almost never flew without them

Edited by Laurent
19 hours ago, The Scaremonger said:

Something dodgy about the height at which the wing root is installed on the fuselaje. It looks as though it were too high to me. 

Mmmh... (late-)you may have a point here...

KH

Super+etendard+Kittyhawk+Build+%25289%25

KM

KktRKm1JY3.jpg

Edited by Laurent