Hi all!

I am back once again with my latest completed project, the 1/48 Tamiya F-16C "Blizzard" Aggressor.  This is my first time building the 1/48 Tamiya F-16, and it is indeed very nice as, although not quite on the level of their new F-14A, but close.  This is built from the Aggressor boxing and is a Block 32 Viper.

I used some aftermarket on this one, including my first full resin cockpit (Aires).  I was a bit worried about making it fit, as I have heard horror stories about Aires pits and fitting them.  But this must have been one of their better efforts as it was not as bad as I was expecting.  I also used Steel Beach masks for the camo, and I definitely recommend them, as I would never have attempted this scheme without them.  Even so, it was a bit tricky to apply, based on the complex shape of the F-16 (especially around the intakes) and the somewhat rigid vinyl (not as pliable as masking tape).  But I had no problems at all with them pulling any paint up, which was good.  I used Afterburner Decals "64th Aggressors" sheet for this, which I luckily found for sale at the IPMS Cleveland Model Show for $10 this past November.  These were great, and I used them over the TwoBobs sheet I had as the decal print was clearer and nicer.  To round out the aftermarket used, I added the Master Pitot and AOAs.

The static dissipators are actually made from toothbrush bristles, a tip which I found here in these forums.  I wish I could remember who it was so I could give them credit.

I did make a couple of errors that I did not fix, the most glaring is the fact I added the chin pods per the Tamiya instructions for a block 32 Aggressor, however my reference shows that they were not used on the Blizzard Viper.  By the time I realized my error, I had already painted and weathered the model.  With the complicated camo scheme, I decided to leave it as is instead of ripping them off and trying to fix the paint.

This was also my first time using MrPaint.  This stuff sprays like an absolute dream.  A bit stinky though.  I will probably start using this more and more, even though I really have no issues with Gunze Aqueous (except their Insignia White, which I have lots of problems with LOL) or Tamiya.

Here is what I used on this build:

Kit: 1/48 Tamiya F-16C "Aggressors" boxing

Decals: Afterburner "64th Aggressors"

Aftermarket: Aires F-16C Aggressor Cockpit set, Master Pitot and AOA, Steel Beach "Blizzard" mask set

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (primer base),  ModelMaster FS35109 International Blue, MrPaint FS 36270 Neutral Gray, FS 36251 Agressor Gray, and FS 36628 White Gray, Tamiya Rubber Black and Smoke, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, Aluminum, and Gold Titanium, Jet Exhaust. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Homemade black oil panel wash.

Without further ado, here are the pics, hope you like!

323183-16625-69.jpg

323184-16625-52.jpg

323185-16625-75.jpg

323186-16625-21.jpg

323188-16625-75.jpg

323189-16625-66.jpg

323190-16625-54.jpg

323191-16625-81.jpg

323192-16625-23.jpg

323193-16625-65.jpg

On 3/1/2017 at 11:57 PM, Ichitoe said:

Fantastic! Very very nice Aggressor!

Mike

Thanks Mike!  I had fun building this one.

On 3/2/2017 at 11:47 PM, dsahling said:

Beautiful airplane, nice work

Thank you for the kind words!

On 3/3/2017 at 4:34 AM, lordstripe said:

Fantastic looking bird! And i completely agree with you about that gunze insignia white!

Thanks bud!  Gunze Insignia White is indeed a pain.  I got some MrPaint Insignia White, so I am looking forward to giving that a try.  My next build using that color will be an A-7E that is about 4-5 builds away.

On 3/3/2017 at 8:17 PM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Darren!  Your SB Masks for this were a lifesaver LOL.

On 3/3/2017 at 8:44 PM, phantom said:

Very nice!

Thanks phantom for the compliment and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

On 3/4/2017 at 0:35 PM, Matthew83128 said:

Wonderful build. When I was stationed there it was the ACC Warfare Center Flagship. I also knew Daniel Myles, he's a really good Crew Chief. Again Awesome build.

IMG_20121020_075105_zpsl11r7yiw.jpg

Thank you Matthew for the kind words and even more so for the story.  As I have said before, the thing that makes me the most happy is when someone with some kind of association or connection with a project I have built comments and compliments.  So thank you so much for taking the time to do so!

On 3/5/2017 at 1:41 AM, a4s4eva said:

Great build there

Thanks Calum!  Your kind words always carry extra weight for me.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:21 AM, my favs are F`s said:

Very interesting looking F-16 with these colors. Well done!

Thanks bud, I appreciate the kind words.  This scheme has always been one I have wanted to do, ever since the first time I saw it.