It depends, sometimes the service will do it in house, but for special ones (usually smaller units) the unit will find a manufacturer and have them made on their own.

A simple google search is usually how we find a place, just google something like "custom unit patches" and do a little digging.  Usually once we find a guy we stick with the same provider forever just because the relationship is there, but to my knowledge there isn't a program in place to officially have patches made.  

That being said, I'm Army, so maybe the flyboys have some other deal worked out.

Edited by crushkill

Here in Canada, us Flyboys had a very similar system. IIRC the 'official Squadron' patches were issued to us, if we needed more we paid for them. On the MP Sqn we had crew patches which we designed and bought by ourselves. We found or had a local manufacturer who got all our business. At the Test Sqn it was the same, we had Sqn unique name patches and again there was an initial issue if more required you coughed up the $$.

From my experience in the A.F., at least in the Pacific, squadrons will mostly get their patches made either in whatever country they are in or a country they visit or know someone who flies into a certain base where they have been before and have a deal with.  The initial patches may be from the government sources but this way it's cheaper and quicker, and custom creations are easy to get. 

When were you there and what did you do?

Our guys would normally get hold of our det. in Korea and have them brought back during rotation or if there was a greater need, send them back on the Ryuku Rickshaw as it made its way home.