1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

FWIW, I was browsing Sprue's 25% off sale 1/48 listings and noticed kits (Eduard, Wingman), decals (Eagle Strike), PE (Eduard), and resin (CMK, Eduard, Wingman) suited to this GB.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/category_s/2414.htm

No financial interest; just trying to help...

well .... darn ... I just ordered my Kormoran missiles yesterday .. and they on sale today... 

Guten Tag! I have a question for those knowledgeable with Revell's 1/72 Tornado kits. I would like to join the GB and had originally thought of working on a Revell 1/72 F-4F. Looking at the builds in progress, there are already a few of these underway. As I really enjoy the variety in a GB and tend try to do something different for my fellow modelers to enjoy, I am now thinking of starting a Revell 1/72 Tornado as I have a few of them in my stash and have not built a Tornado yet. The decals that I want to use are for an IDS aircraft but the Revell kit that I have is for the ECR version. Is the plastic in the Revell 1/72 Tornado ECR the same as the plastic in the Revell Tornado IDS kit? I know that the ECR is the reconnaissance version of the IDS but I am not sure if Revell actually made any changes to their IDS kit. Any thoughts?

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Hi Míke,

you have come to the right place to ask!

The Tornado ECR boxing contains an additional spue with the HARM Missiles and sensors to make the ECR variant. The ECR "Electronic Combat Reconnaissance" is not a true photographic reconnaissance version, but rather an electronic warfare version. The role is similar to the F-16C Block 50/52 "Wild Weasel", but the ECR has a few more dedicated sensors.

So yes, you can build an IDS out of that box, just make sure you do not use the ECR intrument panels. If in doubt, the instructions for the IDS can be found online here:

https://www.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/05797_%23BAU_GESCHENKSET_LUFTWAFFE.PDF

BTW: The instructions also contain the instructions for the 1/72 Revell F-4F, F-104G, and the older tool Eurofighter Typhoon.

Edited by Lancer512

Hi Lancer512

Outstanding!!!  :thumbsup:  Your information is perfect. I don't think I had realized that the ECR was not a true photo reconnaissance aircraft so I was thinking that there might be some exterior changes a bit like an RF-4C. Now I am good to go with this build! I'll post something as a starter in this folder when I can shoot some photos of the kit before I start. I'll then start a thread on my build and we will see how far I can take it!

Thanks again for your great help!

Have fun modeling

Mike

Methinks it is time to formally commit to the cool GB! I am planning on building a 1/72 German Tornado IDS Using a Revell Tornado ECR kit that is already in my stash. (Thanks again Lancer512!) I usually like my models to have a bit of color so I am planning on building the kit as 45 + 88 in the markings it wore to celebrate the 100,000 Tornado flying hours in 1999. The aircraft was assigned to JaBoG-33 at the time.   Here's what I am starting with:

Tornado%2035%2088%20_005_MJI03192017%20L

Tornado%2035%2088%20_004_MJI03192017%20L

I plan to dress up the model a bit using some aftermarket parts (new nose, cockpit details, etc.) but I need to dig through my storage boxes and find the relevant goodies! I still need to finish a model that is already on my workbench which should happen in the next day or two before I can start this build.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Welcome, Mike!

It seams the Phantom and the Toni are the darlings in the Luftwaffe GB here! 

(up to now NO helo!?? *sniff*....Alpha jet?...)

OK, Mike, great choice of decals! I like it to see many special schemes here and you got a rare one! No wonder, for german "Tonis" there are many special liveries...from Tiger Meet to anniversaries, etc.

I have this 1/72 rf-4c/e I have been using to  try different paints .. and to use up leftover thinned paint 

IMGP8822-vi.jpg

what do you think? no building yet, just paint

IMGP8823-vi.jpg

cool scheme:

IMGP8824-vi.jpg

what colors do I need ?

For the Morm72 you need:

RAL 6014 gelboliv (Revell 42, Xtracolor X251)

RAL 7012 Basaltgrau (yes, again! Revell 79, Xtracolor X254)

RAL 9006 weißaluminium (same topic as with your F-104, Xtracolor X252, or Revell 99)

Airdoc decals must be still available for the RF in 1/72, just a wink....

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

Ah, memories.... Must have been 20 years ago that I saw that kit in the stores... Or 25 years?

HAJO

Maybe as long as 35 years ago ... It is reviewed in FSM #2 .. October 1982  

3 hours ago, tobiK said:

For the Morm72 you need:

RAL 6014 gelboliv (Revell 42, Xtracolor X251)

RAL 7012 Basaltgrau (yes, again! Revell 79, Xtracolor X254)

RAL 9006 weißaluminium (same topic as with your F-104, Xtracolor X252, or Revell 99)

Airdoc decals must be still available for the RF in 1/72, just a wink....

Thank you for the camo colors. I am in luck, Ammo of Mig Jimenez has the 6014.  Never tried Ammo, but it is easily available here. 

5 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

I´m starting with a 1/72 Revell F-4F... (Sorry, I´ll try to add some less boring object later...) ;)

HAJO

Dude, no such thing as a boring Phantom. 

hello together.

I would like to build 2-3 models for that GB.
one RF-4E phantom from Hasegawa, a F-86 MK- V (the old Monogram kit) and if still time, another F86 K (from Special hobby). All in 1/48 scale.

Sabrefan:wave:

Edited by tobiK

The first RF is coming! But...it's a PHANTOM again!! hehe

Nice to see more aircrafts from the early times of Luftwaffe. Will look forward to it!

• 4 weeks later...