A-4 Drop Tank Gouge...

The fins attached in only certain places on the tanks. The empty slots you sometimes see are the unused fin attachment points. There were Eight fin attachment points per tank.

It appears that this was done with the sway braces, tightening them to be canted out slightly, maybe something to do with that Walleye?

As for no fins, that was also used a lot, and there was also a variation with two fins angled up (or was it down?). (that last one is much rarer to see, though)

Just general info,,,,using the tank to get up on the wing was okay,,,,,,,,using the fins was very much NOT okay, lol.

PS, note that camera on the front of the centerline pylon on AK-210.

Edited by Rex
7 hours ago, Rex said:

dang, did it again

that should be "eight tail to tank attachments", with Four fin attachment slots.

Right, so the "tail cone" section of the tank can be rotated around to configure the fin angles I'm thinking? But the lugs are in one place only? Like the S-3 configuration typically is in an "X" pattern, were as the A-6/EA-6B has a single fin on the lower side straight down so I imagine the fin attach point are at four points opposite each other.

I'm still trying to find info on if it's the Walleye that dictates the fin angle on the A-4 above.

1 hour ago, 82Whitey51 said:

I'm still trying to find info on if it's the Walleye that dictates the fin angle on the A-4 above.

Maybe these are the 400 Gallon tanks?

They basically look the same but are (of course) more bulky and therefore had to be canted outward because of the main landing gear doors?

Best regards, Jens

I looked around at some of the photos in the books.

It seems that the cant was done even on A-4Bs that had nothing on the centerline. So, my thought that it had to do with the Walleye doesn't apply. Most of the time the fins were straight across, though.

The last time I mentioned the 400 gallon tanks on the wings, it was pointed out to me that they were only used on the centerline on Skyhawks. (Ginter's drawing was in error) I thought I remembered A-4M "Supertanker", sort of like the late KA-6D, but I guess I was wrong about that.

And you have it spot on, Whitey,,,,,,,,,four places to attach fins, but, the pylon lugs are in a fixed position. So, the tail cone is rotatable, to allow changing for different aircraft types, or different tail cones. (smooth tails with no points and no fins were more common in pics than the canted mounting with two fins)

I'm glad you posted that pic, Whitey,,,,,,,,it gives another variation for a Scooter model. (and I need as many variations as I can find)

A modeler better make sure to have a pic with an entry form, though,,,,,,,,I am sure that will be seen as "model part mis-alignment" at a show.

23 minutes ago, Rex said:

The last time I mentioned the 400 gallon tanks on the wings, it was pointed out to me that they were only used on the centerline on Skyhawks. (Ginter's drawing was in error) I thought I remembered A-4M "Supertanker", sort of like the late KA-6D, but I guess I was wrong about that.

Thanks for the correction!! 

Best regards, Jens

4 hours ago, onescale said:

Maybe these are the 400 Gallon tanks?

They basically look the same but are (of course) more bulky and therefore had to be canted outward because of the main landing gear doors?

Best regards, Jens

Hmmm...speaking of MLG doors...where are they? Look at the photo again. Shouldn't they be in view, butted up against the tank?? I see the doors for the struts...but I don't see MLG doors.

Edited by 82Whitey51

This one looks to have a 400gal tank on the c/l:

a-4m_160264_31_of_44.jpg

for the wing tank fins, i think the pylons are slightly canted out, therefore the fins at the back would be slightly angled. Of course other pics do show them level or otherwise so the adjustments of the crutch pad swaybraces  would effect the angle.

Jari

yeah, Whitey, good eye.

They should be out there almost banging on the tanks.

It is strange enough seeing a Willy Lover carrying a Walleye. That pic has all kinds of cool things going on, eh?

It could also be a pair of Walleyes, like the VA-212 photos. They were carried both ways, and also on the centerline with fuel tanks.

Regarding the doors, he means in the WL photo,,,,,,I can see the backdrop is unbroken between the tank and the small doors. But I don't see the large door.

In your photo, yes, we see the tree outlined by the door shape.

And after squinting longer at the WL photo,,,,,,those sure look like "fat tanks", unless there is some shape distortion going on caused by photo angle.

In the WL pic if you look between the left tank and the main gear strut you can see the back of the door edge, on the right side there should be daylight between the tank and the pylon, aside from the plumbing from the tank to the a/c. 

Jari

yep, I see it now,,,,,,,,you're right.

Thanks for pointing it out,,,,,,,,but, once seen, that rear door edge is impossible to miss when you scroll down and back up. (hah, funny what you can see when it is pointed out, eh?)

6 hours ago, Rex said:

yep, I see it now,,,,,,,,you're right.

Thanks for pointing it out,,,,,,,,but, once seen, that rear door edge is impossible to miss when you scroll down and back up. (hah, funny what you can see when it is pointed out, eh?)

Oh yeah...and you can see it's reflection in the port side tank too.