Jump to content

Recommended Posts

If it's ok with the mods, I'd like to start my contribution to the GB with a 72nd Hobbycraft Sabre Mk 6.  I'll be using a CMK cockpit, making some adjustmemts to the kit to depict a Mk.6, and AirDoc decals.

 

17097873_10104437463235069_8892478627871

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice choice!

Make sure you add some weight to the nose. I've forgotten this on my Mk.5 and Mk.6 build a couple of years ago. I was using the same decal sheet. Had no problems with the decals.

Edited by Lancer512
Link to post
Share on other sites

Small update. Cockpit, intake, nose weight, and wings together. Fought the cockpit assembly. It's made for the Academy kit and is just different enough to cause some trouble with the Hobbycraft kit. The white metal seat needed lots of sanding on the bottom so that the canopy will fit properly.

 

Still haven't nailed down the exact scheme but I'm limiting my options by installing an MB Mk.5 seat.

 

17039251_10104444688161259_1778917303245

Link to post
Share on other sites

 good to see that iconic fighter from the first days of luftwaffe. Next came the starfighter and that pushed airforce and industrie immediately into the future. What a fast develloping time in the 50ies....

Link to post
Share on other sites

First coat of primer on. I need to do some more seam work on the nose and upper fuselage. I'm not worried about the seam in the leading edges as the slats will cover them up.

17039101_10104447330760469_4931131016422

Link to post
Share on other sites

No pictures but I think I have all the filling and sanding done. I tried a new (to me) filler. I dissolved some sprue pieces in a partial bottle of Tamiya extra thin cement. It worked out great. The brush on application gave me a lot more control and once dry, it sanded just like plastic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you let the dissolved styrene dry very well. It will shrink to some extent, resulting in visible dents. The thicker it was applied, the more it will shrink.

But that stuff is perfect to safely attach canopies.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RKic said:

Your primer looks very fine. What are you using?

I use Badger Stynylrez. It's acrylic but sprays fantastically and sands exceptionally. Here's the current state. You can see how well the primer "feathers" as you sand.  

 

I also robbed some AIM-9 rails from the Fujimi RF-86 kit.

 

17311202_10104482388160159_9103919921045

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will you make one of the 70 former RCAF Sabres? AFAIK in that case the underside was PRU blue.

I doubts, drop amessage to SabreFan, he is much more into german Sabres than I ever will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

No picture, but I realized I was about to use the wrong drop tanks. Thankfully I kept the spares from an old Heller kit and will be using them on this build along with the Heller main wheels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

18319256_10104645684672639_2708436166566Small update. I found that the gray primer I used was close enough for the top side gray. So, a little non-standard but I masked off the gray and shot the green. Here's a pic after applying all the masking.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...