More structural building. The build is getting a bit overly engineeried now. I think I'm going to have some fit issues when I put the top of the fuselage on...

DSC_0478_zpsclsnt0oq.jpg

Although aligned as per instructions and multiple dry fits, there are still some gap issues around the intake trucks and lower fuselage...:

DSC_0479_zpspjktiaug.jpg

Also picked this little thing from my LHS this week. Tamiya Extra Thin Fast Setting. Perfect for those parts that need multiple fingers to hold together. Many a time have my fingers gone numb holding two pieces in perfect alignment with just the right amount of force waiting for the glue to fry. This stuff dries pretty much in 5 minutes. Has a smel simliar to blue plumbers glue.

DSC_0480_zpsjjpgjhhr.jpg

My Revell Baslatblau and silky light grey also came. In the below pic, one tank is painted with the Revell colour and one with Tamiya XF-24. Difference is minimal (if any) so I'm going to stick with the Tamiya. This build has been cursed with unnecessary purchases...

DSC_0477_zps7kfsgaxw.jpg

Thanks for stopping by...

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

Now you are at the point I was telling before. But you mastered that steps perfectly! And the purchase of the glue was not unnecessary, liquid cement is way to glue for advanced modellers today.

Also the paint is not: I can see clearly the difference between the greys. So better take the Revell paint! ;-)

Really! Jeez my eyes must be worse than I thought :coolio: I usually use Tamiya Extra Thin, but this is the fast drying stuff. Cures much quicker and allows you to move on to next step much quicker. Highly recommend it. 

Back to the greys, the two tone tank is the Revell colour and the single tone is the Tamiya. Maybe the photo has different lighting on the tanks because under normal light I really struggle to see that much of a difference. There is a smal diiference, but not that much...is there? :dontknow:

Ah, yaa, quick drying....THAT must be the secret  weapon of our mate Phantom "Shawn" Weiler!! Otherwise he would never finish his models that fast! ;-)

On 19/03/2017 at 6:50 PM, tobiK said:

Now you are at the point I was telling before. But you mastered that steps perfectly...

Ummm... No. Not really. When I was putting the top of the fuselage on, I had a misalignment of about 1.5 mm. I couldn't for the life of me understand why. I thought of trimming a part but that would leave the same isue further back and so on and so on. Then I worked out the problem. Notice on this pic how there is a diagonal gap where the trunks meet the fuselage...

Mistake%2001_zpsbj5vjhnr.jpg

What I must've done was glue the pieces slightly out of alignment and then I glued the rear of the cockpit sub assembly to the intake assembly thus "bending up" the fuselage in order to get the parts to touch so I can glue them together (thus the diagonal gap).

Mistake%2002_zpsktuhtaka.jpg

This meant when I tried to put the top of the fuselage on, everything had been pushed back by about 1.5 mm (the gap and misalignment was consistent throughout, so well done Revell, badly done Andrew).

I tried to disassemble the culprit parts, but they were stuck solid. The Tornado then nosedived into my rubbish bin (after salvaging a few bits) and I promptly ordered another one using my LHS store credits so it only cost me $15. Shame because I was hoping to use them to offset a Tamiya Viper purchase. Oh well. I'l keep this thread active and post photos of Marineflieger Tornado V1.1 soon.

While I wait for the new kit, I have started something else... Stay tuned.

Sorry to hear that.

But we all have our builds that didn't go as planned. I am happy that you've ordered another Tornado kit and want to give it another try.

That gap between the forward and the aft fuselage is what I am afraid of. Maybe that's the reason I haven't started any of my four 1/48 Tornados that are currently in my stash. I really want to build it, but then I decide to build other kits, which have their own trouble spots that require some attention.

Hold tight Crazy Snap Captain,

I had the same issue on my build. Just insert a shim into the gap between the fore and aft fuselage parts. The gap is the precise width it needs to be in order to fit the top fuselage. A flat sheet, or laminate of thin sheets just glued in there works. Don't even worry about cutting it to shape. Just fit and glue. Once dry, cut the overhanging bits. 

Kinda like I did here 

I avoided that issue by gluing the front end where you have the gap issue and once completely dried ...I positioned and glued the rear fuselage area and then finally when that long lower are had dried, I pulled the sides inwards and glued to the support sides of the intake assembly.

I had the same issue on another "in progress" GR.4 build that I had to contend with and decided to change it up on this one.

Hope that helps 

-Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaand... We're back! New kit arrived so I've built up to previous point. This time I took it slowly and followed Scott's instructions as per above. Thanks @scott_t! 

DSC_0524_zps9fcasxhc.jpg

I've dry fitted the top and this time it's all aligned perfectly. 

I scavenged a lot of parts from the first build to give me a bit of a head start. Cockpit plastic was kept OOB except for the IP which utilised the Eduard PE. 

DSC_0525_zpsppqe8ltr.jpg

Also the CMK AS-34 Kormorans came. Lovely items. All I've done so far is put the back plate on. 

DSC_0527_zps8ch1gpjn.jpg

More to come soon. Thanks for stopping by! 

nice to see you're back on track!

...i was hoping to follow your build closely to learn some hint/trick and see trouble coming in advance...

...but now i'm in a slightly more advanced state of completion of the project than you, so i guess i'll see afterward what i should have done...

So RAL 9003 is a white, called "signalweiß" and is a clean white. You can take Tamiya gloss white.

RAL 9006 is, what?, grey??? Well 9006 is the classic color for Norm 72 fuselage bottom and is called "weißaluminium".

It is more a silver metallic paint. Revell 99 is ok, for example.

Here I found 2 pics of Kormoran:

White Kormoran

green Koran

The green color is RAL 6014 (Revell 42)

Cheers Tobi. Putting together the CMK Kormorans, they didn't look right to me, especially the size of the fins. I put the Eduard ones together and they looked better. Scale wise they are about 1.2mm short, but the fins look closer to scale than the CMK items, especially the rear fins. Diameter wise they're both right on. The Eduard ones also had much better detail on the missile body.

DSC_0532_zps03eagrz2.jpg

DSC_0533_zpsmc2johom.jpg

I'll use the Eduard misssile with the the CMK missile rails. Win-Win. I'm going for the Olive Drab with the Adidas 3 yellow stripes finish :) so I painted the stripe colours to be masked before the main colour goes on. 

DSC_0535_zpsiwxt9vlm.jpg

1 hour ago, Crazy Snap Captain said:

so I painted the stripe colours to be masked before the main colour goes on.

And that's the correct way to do this. The colorful stripes will look cool on the olive drab body and bring some areas of focus to the model.

And again something "german" added to your project: ADIDAS (Company is located in Herzogenaurach near Nuernberg) - haha!

I can see that the EDU ones are better in detail. But again, like so often, EDU is smaller....they make things smaller, even too small: wheels for the Phantom, nozzle for F-16...

But no one will realize that the Kormoran is too short and so you make the best out of the best: mixing CMk and EDU (I just wonder what will happen with the left overs?)

Another Marine aircraft? ;-) 

Maybe a Zipper Tobi? 

Anyway, finished the Kormorans...

DSC_0537_zpsz1pcamv0.jpg

Happy with the results. Started painting the seats from CMK. Will have to deal with PE belts... Not fun

DSC_0545_zpsbiceimcy.jpg

Also tried painting the det chord. Not overly happy with the result. Will have to revisit this. 

DSC_0546_zpsvxcy1rs8.jpg

Main structure is going together ok. Some steps to deal with but some areas, especially the back end went together surprisingly well... 

DSC_0543_zpsgmhajdrr.jpg

DSC_0539_zps7e3d2vjh.jpg

Next up... Intakes... :rofl:

On 22/04/2017 at 2:43 AM, tobiK said:

Real cool Adidas Sea birds!! ;-)

Do you wear Adidas sportshoes while modelling?

Only a sweat band... a la Boris Becker...

Most of the assembly is together now... starting to look like a Tonka. The fit of the nose was excellent.

DSC_0547_zpslidfnmpv.jpg

Question... does anyone have pics of the top of a tornado. I'm trying to ascertain if the wing gloves (is that what they're called???) are flush against the top of the fuselage. On the kit mine are slightly raised above the fuselage when I have been dry fitting. Do I need to sand this to get it flush?

Also painted some of the metallic bits in various Alclcad colours...

DSC_0549_zpsvyembspu.jpg

Thanks for watching! See you soon.

i don't have the photo at hand, but the wing glove is slightly over the flat surface of fuselage. i did that search last week for my very own build... here's a photo : link

Edited by mingwin