Nope... A standard grey on white Marineflieger Tornado. I've just ordered the AS-34 Kormoran missiles from Eduard. Now looking for reference pics on the pylons as the Eduard ones don't look right for the underside or the Tornado (from what I can see).

I found this pic...

kormoran06.jpg

Looks like the standard Tornado fuselage pylon with an adapter pylon?

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain
11 hours ago, scott_t said:

The CMK set looks like it may come with that pylon adapter

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CMK4312

Yep, you need the CMK adapter for Tornado, to attach Kormoran and Harm,  Eduard pylons are for the F-104.

Attached is a picture taken at Marinefliegergeschwader 2 Eggebek (long ago disbanded and closed in 2005). In front you can se the Harm, second is Kormoran EXerscise painted in olive, live missiles are painted white. The last item in the picture is the Marineflieger recce pod. Only MFG2 Tornado have flown recce tasks, not MFG1.

Rail-1.jpg

You can also build a grey Luftwaffe Tornado,  Harms and Kormoran capabilities transfered to Aufklärungsgeschwader 51 after disbanding MFG2 in 2005. Before that, only recce missions were flown at AG 51. Nowadays the Kormoran missile is history and out of service.

Attached are pictures of AG 51 Tornado´s, armed with Kormoran & Harm missiles.

Kormoran.jpg

Harm.jpg

The Adapter pylon in the Eduard set appears to be correct. The adapter is mounted below the heavy load suspension of the shoulder pylons (outer fuselage pylons). The picture above , which you've posted, pretty much tells you where it is located. It is also the same adpter for both Kormoran and HARM. The shoulder pylons in the Revell IDS kit are correct for a german Tornado. Can't use them for a british Tornado.

4 hours ago, Lancer512 said:

The Adapter pylon in the Eduard set appears to be correct.

AFAIK there are two sets available from Eduard. Set I contains two Kormoran missiles, type I and II, but no adapters for F-104 or Tornado.  Set II contains two Kormoran missiles type I and the pylons for F-104 wings.

3 hours ago, JayBee said:

AFAIK there are two sets available from Eduard. Set I contains two Kormoran missiles, type I and II, but no adapters for F-104 or Tornado.  Set II contains two Kormoran missiles type I and the pylons for F-104 wings.

Damn my impatience!!! I'll have to get the CMK set now. Anyone after a mint Eduard Kormoran missile set? :rolleyes:

Failing to plan is planning to fail...isn't that what they say? I've over bought and spent money on wrong or superfluous items. I started off as an OOB build, and now I'm waiting on the following AM:

CMK AS-34 Kormorans

Eduard AS-34 Kormorans (wont be used)

Master pitot and AoA probes

Eduard wheels

HaHen Navy Tornados decals

CMK cockpit set (not sure if I'll use this, might just use the seats depending on how good the set is)

Eduard self adhesive interior detail set (not sure if I'll use this, depends on the CMK detail)

Oh well... Looks like its going to be a longer build than I originally planned. Whilst waiting patiently for my AM binge, I experimented with colours for the Marineflieger Norm 76 scheme. I found that Tamiya XF-24 looks pretty much right for the RAL 7012 Basaltgrau  and Gunze Aqueous H311 is spot on for the RAL 7035 Lichtgrau  underside.Here's a tank that I painted up (N.B. not the final product). 

DSC_0471%201_zpstff5iwkg.jpg

Looks pretty good when I compare to (some) ref pics. Maybe add some light blue to the XF-24? Depends on which ref pic you look at really. For some it's spot on, for others too dark and for others not bluish enough. MAybe middle ground and leave as is. Happy for your feedback...

Not overly. There will be a bit of fading and some patching up, but not to the point that the paint is totally faded. Something like this...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/16/5c/b3/165cb3e65d9060e2543d002691b50532.jpg

Question: Why do Tornados have such filthy vertical stabs?

Revell 79 basaltgrau on top and revell 374 RAL 7001 silbergrau for underside. Do not stress yourself, i can swap it over to you in a letter.

Or come to Jakarta,  in Peter's hobbyshop there are revell paints. Jakarta is very close to Australia, right?

The 43+87 was the last Tornado in service wearing that old Norm 76 camo scheme. Transfered in 1994 from MFG 1 (closed that year) to MFG2 it was repainted until around 2001 in the common three tone wraparound camo. The Norm 76 camo on this Tornado was heavy weathered at the end of his life due to the age of the camo and salty air. This is a good example how dirty it looks.

They are different markings applied on the 43+87 during service at MFG2. The first version in 1994 was this, they only changed the badge from MFG 1 to MFG2. If you look close you can see the overpainted MFG1 badge on top of the fin. Also new bold type "Marine" letters on tail without the white border around.

Later the anchor was overpainted in the new common version, usually located at the front of the fuselage like on the wrap around scheme, the maintenance crew painted them again on the intake. Again the "Marine" letters changed to the new stencil type of the wraparound camo with partly white framing around them. This is how it looks in the link you posted above.

Colors of the Norm 76 Marine scheme is RAL 7012 Basaltgrau on top and RAL 7035 Lichtgrau bottom. Plz note that the separation line between both colors is not straight, it acsends from front to rear.

The dirt on tail is the exaust stain. The Tornado use thrust-reversers to shorten landing distance as you can see here. 

Edited by JayBee

Thanks boys. JayBee, thanks for the tips especially on the dirty tail. Makes sense now, especially the angle at which it is weathered. 

More purchases! I'll get the walkways. Another question re HaHen decals. Are they still ALPS printed? I read somewhere that they were printed using an ALPS printer and that they may require a coat of future to avoid bleeding? 

11 hours ago, tobiK said:

Revell 79 basaltgrau on top and revell 374 RAL 7001 silbergrau for underside. Do not stress yourself, i can swap it over to you in a letter.

Or come to Jakarta,  in Peter's hobbyshop there are revell paints. Jakarta is very close to Australia, right?

Ha! Yep, just a "short" 8 hour flight! Australia isn't close to anywhere!!! 😁 

Thanks for the offer Tobi. Are Revell paints acrylic? 

Ya bro...so many questions for someone who just wanted to make an oob build, hahahshahaaa

1) hahen: a few years ago it was ALPS printed but what you get today works like any other good quality decals. You can use micro set and sol, is never wrong. I know him, he is also into airliners and works for revell as well, making decal artwork.

2) revell colors: there are 2 ranges: enamel and acrylic (name: aquacolor). Enamel works like humbrol and you can use also Hu.Thinner. Brush paintable as well as for airbrush.

Aquacolor is very thick, not like gunze or tamiya. Good for brushpainting, dilute with purified water (really!), quick drying and very soon to overpaint. Because of water, does not affect the dry color layer from before (unlike gunze, tamiya etc.).

Airbrush: well, not so comfy like gunze. But it works! Revell has its own Thinner for that purpose but it does not make super satisfied. Diluting works well with, yaaa, windowcleaner. In Germany we have SIDOLIN. Then it sprays on fine, quick drying but sometimes needletop tends to glogging.

So, my fave for detail brushpainting like cockpit, seats, wheel wells and struts, figures...

I have a several sets of Hahen decals, 2 I just got this week .....32nd scale Phantom sheet and a 32nd scale Tornado sheet .....anyways.......there is a note in with the decals stating that the decals

have been sealed and you need to cut out each one individually, i.e., close to the decal. So not your typical waterslide decals where each one is pre-separated from the others.

A lot of my parts have slowly been coming in. The main one I was waiting for was the Eduard Zoom interior set as I wanted to polish up the cockpit. I wasn't sure I wanted to use the CMK cockpit set as I abhor working with resin. So I did up the kit cockpit and used the Eduard parts. Turned out ok I think so I'll avoid the resin tub. I'll use the seats from the CMK set as the kit ones are pretty poor.

DSC_0472_zpspy73jc44.jpg

DSC_0473_zpsxnyatqqy.jpg

DSC_0474_zpsc4mkf866.jpg

Then zipped up the frong fuselage halves with the bottom section. Despite being a tricky assembly process, the fit is actually quite good. There shouldn't be too much need for filler (I hope...)

DSC_0475_zps4yurxagr.jpg

Also the intakes were glued together, which include the wheel wells. Some gaps were filled up with CA glue and painted up. From what I can see, Tonka wheel wells seem to be an off white/light grey colour? Could be wrong.

DSC_0476_zpsfozrl6vx.jpg

RANT ALERT: What the heck is it with Revell's parts numbering? It's like a treasure hunt every time you need to find a new part! Is there a system I'm missing? Bloody ludicrous!