Eduard Bundesfighter 1/48 F-104 DONE

As if I do not have enough models in progress, It is time to dive into another GB. :rolleyes:

I am building the Eduard Bundesfighter. It is a Hasegawa 1/48 F-104 with eduard parts included.

here is the box

IMGP8765-vi.jpg

The first choice to make is whether to use the color photetch, or decals, or maybe even to paint the nice detail in the cockpit

IMGP8771-vi.jpg

IMGP8773-vi.jpg

Looks nice right? so the only reasonable thing to do is to destroy the nice detail and use the PE

IMGP8774-vi.jpg

IMGP8772-vi.jpg

Great! now it looks like a 1970s ESCI kit. 

kinda felt bad doing it, but the PE should really look nice.

Next time, painting begins!

Edited by Kurt H.

You know the Marineflieger gives you interesting and exotic options for loadout? To realize it all you will find in the DACO starfighter upgrade set. Highly recommended (and yes, I will use it for vikings F-104G, too). Also think of a metal pitot tube because the zipper has a looong one.

I took german in high school. I ended up in german I  3 different times. Long story. I will have a go, I only cheated with one word

Mein aktualisieren ist sehr langwheilig.....

(and back to english)

I painted the cockpit parts , I used tamyia xf-19 and tried using tamiya acrylic retarder. The retarder did its job, it took a long time for these parts to dry. I also put in too much thinner so it was a bit messy painting.

IMGP8781-vi.jpg

IMGP8782-vi.jpg

IMGP8783-vi.jpg

Next up is silver parts painting, the inside of the intakes, undercarriage, inside of the speed brakes, etc etc

Auf Wiedersehen für jetzt

Edited by Kurt H.

Wir sollten alle Teilnehmer dieses GB dazu bringen, nur noch auf deutsch zu schreiben... ;)

(We should make all participants in the GB write in german only...)

HAJO

Au weia, Hajo! That would lift the GB to a next and until now not reached level!

But I am afraid the intese use of Google translater will overheat their servers and the nonsens after computer translation will rise so much that us native speakers will have to drink so much beer to understand it. Weeehh, guess it will be to hard for both sides.

Ok, back to Kurt's zipper: ...ahhh, take care: front and back wall of main wheel well is too wide so the fuselage halves are hard to glue and s gap can happen. Means: putty again.

Marineflieger had sidewinders on the catamaran rails under the belly and kormoran anti ship missiles on the wing pylons.

was ist los?

I have not given any thought to arming this model, but that sounds like an interesting weapons load. In one of the other build threads someone mentioned they were added Eduard Kormoran missiles.  I think I will pursue it. 

Looks like the easiest way to get the Kormorans and the pylons is to buy the Daco set.

I went to sprue brothers to get the paint I need for this model and the Mr. Color paints I need are out of stock! auuugh!!!!

Good thing there is plenty of time in this build, but it is frustrating for my favorite paint to be a bit hard to source.

For basaltgrau also x254 xtracolor or revell 79. Underside RAL weissaluminium for the 104, X252.

Eduard instruction is not always on the point. Dayglo on tiptanks: revell 25, white undercoat. 

In the Daco set you will find at least one kormoran in! Also the chaff/flare dispensers for late marine 104s. 

But you can buy the missing kormoran from CrazySnapCaptain, haha.

On 3/8/2017 at 4:00 AM, tobiK said:

For basaltgrau also x254 xtracolor or revell 79. Underside RAL weissaluminium for the 104, X252.

Eduard instruction is not always on the point. Dayglo on tiptanks: revell 25, white undercoat. 

In the Daco set you will find at least one kormoran in! Also the chaff/flare dispensers for late marine 104s. 

But you can buy the missing kormoran from CrazySnapCaptain, haha.

I can not get those either in my country! augh! I went through this when I built my A400M

Maybe humbrol will be my salvation .... off to do some research

-----

Ok ... so .... I did some more research, it looks like the bottom color is listed as silver or aluminum. Pictures make it  look gray  and articles about building one of these, some builders paint the bottom gray, I guess interpreting the color incorrectly.

I found the hasegawa instructions for this model, and they suggest gunze 8 .. silver. 

thoughts?   Did this silver get dull really quickly?

I found this diagram to be useful too

8ef3fe5d0101d937f6d41b4885c4a95e.jpg

Edited by Kurt H.

I've sprayed color swatches for all of my paints. XtraColor RAL 7012 is very close to RAF dark sea grey. Also, you could try to add some light grey to FS36118 to get a notch lighter, but depending on the brand, this may be not not much. MM has the darkest FS36118. Hope this helps.

The aluminum paint on the bottom appears very dull. it should be a dull metallic, almost light grey color. No idea what's the best color to use for that.

Revell 99 aluminium can be possible and so the Humbrol equivalent. Spray flat clear coat over and it may look alright. Just keep in mind, it is a silver metallic paint and no natural metal. RAL silbergrau is used for underside of early Marine Tornados afaik.

On the basaltgrey you can do some fading. Better a bit lighter than too dark.

not yet, I was looking over the parts I painted and I think they need another coat of paint. I have also seen some conflicting information regarding the color of the landing gear bays so I will need to do a little more research to ensure I paint them the right color.  Hopefully I will have some time tonight.

I might have solved the problem of the underside color. I was at the hobby store and found "dark anodonic gray" metalizer .. and I had an "A HA" moment. So I bought it. I will test on one of my paint mules but seeing the color in the bottle had me pretty optimistic.

Edited by Kurt H.

Ok, I finally actually did some work on this one instead of just talking ....

I looked and found pictures of the undergarriage and wheel wells of a marine f-104 and the looked like they are painted silver. I decided to try floquil platinum mist for this shade

IMGP8784-vi.jpg

looks about like what I was going for

IMGP8787-vi.jpg

Next I went for another coat of gray for the cockpit

IMGP8782-vi.jpg

it looks much better now.

Then while I was at it I also painted the inside of the engine halves with burnt iron metalizer

IMGP8786-vi.jpg

It will require a little more work, dry brushing with light tan, etc

And  the Kormoran missiles, pylons and master pitot arrived today

IMGP8788-vi.jpg

till next time....

Edited by Kurt H.