Eduard Bundesfighter 1/48 F-104 DONE

Thanks Tobi .. I will be careful with the test fitting. As I look at this I realize the "platinum mist" might actually be a good color for the bottom color .. it is silver, but very subtle. I found a bottle of "old silver" in my paint hoard which is more of what I had in mind for the undercarriage.  

Ok  .. I know i have done a lot of talking in this GB, and I am sure you are wondering if I actually ever build any thing

I started with the cockpit tonight. I was really dreading this as I have messed up PE in the past. but I think it came out ok....

here are the tools, all from The Small Shop  (no financial interest I just like the products they sell)

First is the large PE cutoff set

IMGP8805-vi.jpg

This is how it works:

IMGP8809-vi.jpg

You hold down the part you want to cut off with the clear press. This holds the part down to prevent it from flying away.

Next is the hold n' fold for bending parts:

IMGP8808-vi.jpg

This makes bending parts much easier!  I did not get any "in action" pics because I only have two hands!

Here we are after an hour or two

instrument panel

IMGP8816-vi.jpg

Oh no .. I just noticed looking at this picture one part is a little crooked! augh!!!

and the cockpit:

IMGP8806-vi.jpg

Here are the rudder pedals

oops

IMGP8814-vi.jpg

I did manage to glue the other pedal back on, but forgot to take a picture

and the last thing I worked on was this part, not sure what it is ... seat rail?

IMGP8817-vi.jpg

Oh Kurt, the back frame of the seat seams quite narrow on the open end! Take care that the seat will still fit in there!! Hasegawa has no big gaps between the parts! 

The Eduard PE looks good!! I will safe my Bundesfighter for another project with canopy open.

6 minutes ago, tobiK said:

Oh Kurt, the back frame of the seat seams quite narrow on the open end! Take care that the seat will still fit in there!! Hasegawa has no big gaps between the parts! 

The Eduard PE looks good!! I will safe my Bundesfighter for another project with canopy open.

I did a test fit and it will fit in the holes in the cockpit floor, and that forces it to be nice and straight. I will pose this one with the cockpit open, but I think I will add the canopy rails and the other little things added to them last.

I was feeling too lazy to take pictures, but I did paint some parts cockpit gray, including the seat rail. I also cut the pour stub off the Ejection seat and airbrushed it black. I was feeling ambitious, and masked the lower portion of the control stick, and airbrushed the top half of it black :thumbsup: I hate to brush paint.

Good to see you have right tools now! PE is a bit tricky but can be mastered.

A hint from me: Take a diamond file to remove the last left overs from cutting the PE. I have one from Tamiya.

About control stick: black for the handle grip is right, the stick on the left side in front of the knobs: the top is a kind of off white or cream.

I ordered the tamiya file. I was using a regular file and it took considerable effort to file down the fret attachment points, and i also had to be careful to not bend the parts, and and the same time not scratch off the paint on the PE. I used tweezers and put tape on the jaws to prevent messing up the nice paint.

Too busy studying and labbing to get to the model shop tonight, maybe I will have time tomorrow.

Making slow and steady progress.

I assembled the engine, here are the parts prior to assembly

IMGP8828-vi.jpg

and I assembled the main landing gear bay

IMGP8829-vi.jpg

I think I will do a oil wash to bring out the detail. I did a test fit with the fuselage and tobik is right, it is a really tight fit. 

till next time ... 

Also note. during the late Seventies several German Starfighters were upgraded with a much smokeless engine nozzle (same as used o Italian S), on MFG2 almost all Starfighter got this modification, so search for a photo of the very F-104G you are building and check what nozzle to use, both are in the box.  

11 hours ago, Paolo Maglio said:

Also note. during the late Seventies several German Starfighters were upgraded with a much smokeless engine nozzle (same as used o Italian S), on MFG2 almost all Starfighter got this modification, so search for a photo of the very F-104G you are building and check what nozzle to use, both are in the box.  

Buona Sera! Mille gracie for the head up, Paolo. You are right, MTU upgraded the J79 engine and it was around 1968 when it was changed. 

In the Eduard instruction from Kurt it is right: part no. L8 is the correct nozzle for his 104. Or as long as you don't have the J79 nozzle from DACO that is way better in detail and shape.

First the J79-11A was built in, constructed by Gerhard Neumann. Engeneering already started in 1952. AFAIK there has been problems with engine stall what caused some deadly aircraft crashes. Soon the 104 got the name "widowmaker" and had a real bad standing in german press and society. So the upgrade of the engine was one of many actions to make that jet more reliable. The new engine had the name J79-MTU-J1K and was built by MTU.

It was much more smokeless, had a different sound, nozzle activation got a new hydraulic system and a manual closing option for the nozzle (additional lever in the cockpit). Also a new flameholder was made (DACO cares about that detail in his upgrade set, btw.)

BTW. what about you to join this GB? I am sure there will be a Starfighter from Luftwaffe or Marine that is still missing in your collection...and you are a fan of that iconic jet, giusto?? ;-)

Thank you TobiK, actually I have just started a late Marine RF-104G but this group build is about Luftwaffe, isn't? Anyway I'm planning an early F-104G AWX from JG Molders during Summer, then I will join for sure! 

1 hour ago, Paolo Maglio said:

Thank you TobiK, actually I have just started a late Marine RF-104G but this group build is about Luftwaffe, isn't? Anyway I'm planning an early F-104G AWX from JG Molders during Summer, then I will join for sure! 

No problemo, Paolo! Marineflieger is allowed, too! Just read the "rules of the air" for the GB: Marine and Heer included as long it is flying. So you can come in with your RF-104G.

Edited by tobiK

I had some time to work on this today

first, an oil wash in the main gear bay

IMGP8834-vi.jpg

It adds a little bit of depth, which was just what I was looking for

then I painted the cushion on the ejection seat

IMGP8835-vi.jpg

and the what ever this is ...the parachute?

IMGP8836-vi.jpg

Next step will be to paint that head rest OD, and then gloss coat the cockpit parts and apply a wash, then some drybrushing on the seat

and in other news, a package showed up from Red Star Scale models with the elusive MRPAINT 

IMGP8837-vi.jpg

This stuff is supposed to be the greatest paint ever, so we will see when the time comes.

Oh and Tobik ... I have been sanding and sanding the bulkheads and it is still a tough fit, how much do you need to sand those bulkheads?

Edited by Kurt H.

I thought they are health drinks...like a orange-mango smoothy!? cheers!

Well, how much??? Hard to say. Maybe also have a look at the place in the fuselage where the well is fixed. To narrow there? When it is just a bit tight, hmm...working with extra thin cement would weld the plastik together?

I worked a bit more careless on my parts, so when the well is a bit too smal now, no problem as the gear doors will be closed.

11 minutes ago, tobiK said:

Haha, while it is drying you can fix the decal desaster at the Monogram Zipper! 

Oh btw., Kurt, I miss your Luftwaffe banner! ;-)

Haha yeah, I am going to be patient with that decal issue.  I think I will do other stuff with this kit, assembling the wings,  fuel tanks, and other stuff that does not require the fuselage to be assembled. 

I totally forgot about the banner, I always turn signatures off as sometimes they take up more room than the content in a post. So, I forgot I still had the old GB banner. Ooops!

haha

And that is why I could never really get involved in a certain other forum, the setting to turn off signatures just does not work! augh!

Hey, but you do not need help here in our forum here!? After it changed to the new style I had some problems in the beginning to find all the switches and settings. But now it works and also with me.

You know I especially like to see the co-mods with a banner. Somehow I feel that i (or we?) owe a bit of PR activity to the sponors. Nice to see you like our flying truck, the C-160. Have you ever heard one in real? It has a special cool sound because the prop wide is so huge (hm, somebody told me it has the biggest prop of actual flying planes). But yes, feel free to use your old banner in addition. No problem for me...

• 2 weeks later...

the oil paint has finally dried, I am assembling the seat. My workbench has one other model I am not running a build thread for in the final stages of assembly so  once that is out of the way, then I want to get this one in major assembly. I do not have a picture, but I did assemble the wing tanks, and the wing upper and lower halves.  The seat has a bunch of tiny PE parts, but the rest of the cockpit can be assembled.  Pictures should come in a day or two.

Why should it be different in your man cave? Same to me...have to finish the Redbull Cobra (scratch building the smokewinders) and then back on the 104 AND the Wessex in the Helo GB.

I am still here and working on this!

I finally cleaned up the workbench

IMGP8928-vi.jpg

Well, clean for me any way. 

I assembled the cockpit

IMGP8930-vi.jpg

IMGP8931-vi.jpg

and after lots of sanding, fitting, cursing, sanding, fitting and more sanding I got the "guts" in place 

IMGP8932-vi.jpg

and the cockpit

IMGP8933-vi.jpg

two weeks ago I stared the wings 

IMGP8934-vi.jpg

today I decided to glue on the leading edge and succeeded in adding a nice glue finger print

IMGP8936-vi.jpg

oops

oh well, at least it is on the bottom, I can sand it out. 

see ya next time ....