Eduard Bundesfighter 1/48 F-104 DONE

I had a little bit of time tonight, I had to spend a few hours studying, but I made a little time for this model before bed.

12 hours ago, tobiK said:

You better fill the rivets on the wings. Recommended stuff (due to Paolo Maglio) is whiteout. 

I do not have any white out handy but I brushed parts of that wing with Mr Surfacer 500 and a different part with mr surfacer 1000. Maybe they will fill in the rivets.

I also decided to take the plunge and join the fuselage halves. Pictures tomorrow, hopefully is sets up nice and straight.

Haha yes, it puts how long ago the F-104 went into service when you think about the music that was popular at the time... the early 60s .. this is before the Beatles, before the Beach Boys ... in my view as a 41 year old, ancient pre-history!

All kidding aside, I made some major progress

I got tired of messing with those bulkheads and figured it was time to join the fuselage halves

IMGP8943-vi.jpg

I use tape to hold the fuselage together. The toothpicks prevent the tape from sitting on the seam, if liquid cement wicked under the tape it would make a mess.

so I let this sit for a day or two... my biggest concern after dry fitting was the bottom of the fuselage near the wheel well

IMGP8946-vi.jpg

So, that could be better, but I can work with it. 

The rest of the seam is almost perfect

IMGP8947-vi.jpg

I have to confess something, This is probably the first modern Japanese kit I have built. Most of what I build have ended up being old monogram kits.  I am really starting to gain a real appreciation for modern tooling.  

In the mean time I am still working with the wings. I tried mr surfacer 500, 1000 and 1500. none of them seemed to get into the rivets

IMGP8950-vi.jpg

so I decided to really smear on the 1500

IMGP8949-vi.jpg

We will have to see how much sanding this requires.

till next time ....

good to see some progress being done!

it's the first time i have such a close look at the overriveted wings of that kit.... what a PITA! ..i do really understand now those who seek for the expensive DACO set....

good work! good luck!

Edited by mingwin
On 27 april 2017 at 10:49 AM, Kurt H. said:

In the mean time I am still working with the wings. I tried mr surfacer 500, 1000 and 1500. none of them seemed to get into the rivets

so I decided to really smear on the 1500

IMGP8949-vi.jpg

For only 12.50 euro you can buy the separate sprue A of the DACO's Starfighter Improvement Set which will give you a correct sized wing without rivets, so no hazzle with putty and sanding, and much more...

F104sprue3A1k.jpg.665f168f7d51f1c435af7fa8ab360e21.jpg  F104sprue3A4k.jpg.46f0be655b17ff7b13229c909d49c0d9.jpg

===> www.dacoproducts.com 

Edited by DACO Products
8 minutes ago, DACO Products said:

For only 12.50 euro you can buy the separate sprue A of the DACO's Starfighter Improvement Set which will give you a correct sized wing without rivets, so no hazzle with putty and sanding, and much more...

F104sprue3A1k.jpg.665f168f7d51f1c435af7fa8ab360e21.jpg  F104sprue3A4k.jpg.46f0be655b17ff7b13229c909d49c0d9.jpg

highly recommended! Guess why I will use that sprues for my Viking Zipper? ;-) 

best way to cover rivet I found is using typewriter fluid, the one liquid that come in a pen, just drop a small amount in each rivet, it will not retire as much as Surfacer and any excess will easily wet-sanded away.

I had one more product to try on my work bench, Mr. Disolved putty

it is really thin putty (as the name would suggest)

I applied it with a brush and it looks ok at this point, we will see how it looks when it dries.  If this does not work,, then maybe I can try some of the alternative posted above

IMGP8957-vi.jpg

The mr disolved putty seems to be the right tool for this job

on the wing in the foreground, you can see the white dots, where it filled in the rivets:

IMGP8961-vi.jpg

work continues on the fuselage

IMGP8960-vi.jpg

There was a gap in the rear fuselage. I masked, then applied putty, to avoid this one becoming a "putty zombie" as TobiK called my monogram F-104

The insert just ahead of the main gear fit well, it looks like it needs a little sanding. The insert in the forward fuselage really fit well, and looks like it will need a minimum amount of sanding.

It is so nice to work on a modern kit. 

I have a lot going on right now, but hopefully I can still allocate some time to my models. 

Talk to you soon!

I am still working on this!!!

Life has been in the way the past few weeks, but I have some time now 

so I sanded the carefully applied putty .. carefully

IMGP9007-vi.jpg

looks good so far, but a coat of primer will be the judge...

This part will be more of a challenge

IMGP9008-vi.jpg

on the top of the picture, the insert forward of the main gear bay is not flush, it is sunken in slightly. similar issue with the seam to the right, it is not flush so I must resist the urge to go crazy with the putty and obliterate all that nice detail.

I assembled the nose which was a bit of a challenge. I think it was slightly warped.

IMGP9009-vi.jpg

The wings are just dry fitted .. I figured it was an easy way to have both the top and bottom exposed to let the mr disolved putty dry.

IMGP9010-vi.jpg

I am of two minds with this kit. It is well molded and fits well, but why did hasegawa have to give it such a severe case of acne?

and to wrap up, I had the airbrush going so I painted some parts which needed to be black

IMGP9012-vi.jpg.

the part to the right is the part to the rear of the cockpit, where the third part of the canopy goes

till next time....

I am still messing with the seams on the bottom

careful application of mr surfacer 500 and sanding has gotten me here

DSC_0035-vi.jpg

DSC_0036-vi.jpg

DSC_0037-vi.jpg

As the Who once sang ... "It all looks fine .... to the naked eye, but it don't really happen that way at alll...."

I thought I was ready for primer, but looking at the second of the three pictures above, it looks like another round of mr surfacer may help

till next time...

I was primering another model, and since I had a little primer left over I decided to see how the seams are going with this model

DSC_0056-vi.jpg

that seam needs work

DSC_0057-vi.jpg

the top looks good

but the rivets....

DSC_0058-vi.jpg

:crying:

back to the drawing board. till next time....

Edited by Kurt H.

ok, I decided to try a little drop of mr surfacer 500 on each rivet. I started with the flap, to see if this will be a satisfactory solution.

DSC_0089-vi.jpg

Still working on the seam on the bottom of the fuselage, but I am sure you are all tired of looking at it so I will not bore you with yet another picture of the fuselage.

I should admire your persistence with the rivets - don't forget the stabilizer has no rivets either - but I still believe you will always keep seeing them in the end, and the time and material spend so far could have used better for other parts...

So I'm going to repost my previous post:

For only 12.50 euro you can buy the separate sprue A of the DACO's Starfighter Improvement Set which will give you a correct sized wing without rivets, so no hazzle with all the putty and sanding, and you get much more...

You are probably right, but at this point I feel committed. 

The precise application of mr surfacer 500 seems to have worked

The wing on the right was totally treated with Mr. Surfacer 500 pimples, then sanded with 400 grit sand paper. It feels smooth, but only primer will reveal the truth. The wing on the left has just received the mr surfacer pimple treatment

DSC_0102-vi.jpg

The Daco parts would be easier, It hurts my eyes going this. 

I also started the fuselage

DSC_0103-vi.jpg

and did the top of the tail

DSC_0104-vi.jpg

once this dries, more sanding!

Leave it for two weeks after sanding it even, and then recheck.

On one of my current builds, I've used Mr. Surfacer 500 to fill up two unused locating holes. The Mr. Surfacer did shrink while the primer was already on for a couple of weeks. I had a visipl dimples, so I had to redo the Mr. Surfacer while the rest of the model was ready for paint.

Edited by Lancer512

Maybe I should have listened to Lancer512 ... but I got impaitient

DSC_0117-vi.jpg

DSC_0118-vi.jpg

but almost there....

and the fuselage got a round of sanding and i applied primer to see how it was looking

this side looks ok

DSC_0120-vi.jpg

this side needs more

DSC_0119-vi.jpg

hmm and the bottom looks like I might have flattened it :-/

DSC_0121-vi.jpg

I was really careful too. :angry:

Oh well. I will carry on.

see ya next time

I have spent another week messing with these rivets

DSC_0143-vi.jpg

hopefully this will be the end of it

and the elevators

DSC_0144-vi.jpg

In the mean time I paint the intake parts

DSC_0145-vi.jpg

and I am working the seams around this part ... the radio gear cover

DSC_0146-vi.jpg

And you can also see the nose has been glued on as well.  I am just trying to be gentle and not obliterate detail like I did with my monogram f-104

Making progress ...

This part, the stabilator, I got the rivets in one pass

DSC_0158-vi.jpg

The wings finally look good. They are not glued on yet, but they fit so well you could leave them unglued

DSC_0157-vi.jpg

I also have the intakes on

DSC_0155-vi.jpg

and the bottom seam is finally acceptable

DSC_0159-vi.jpg

till next time...

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the past week with mr surfacer/sand/repeat on the intakes. I finally got it to my satisfaction, and decided to attach the wings.

The fit was good, so instead of my usual method of attaching the wings with a touch n' flo and liquid cement, they just needed a few small dots of CA 

DSC_0169-vi.jpg

I also took some time to clean up the tanks, and used a small amount of putty to fill in imperfections

DSC_0170-vi.jpg

Getting closer. 

See ya next time

• 2 weeks later...

I did not have much time in the model shop lately, I had a lot of stuff to do around the house.

I did some clean up sanding, and attached the keel fin

DSC_0175-vi.jpg

Next, I decided to focus on the Kormorans

while cleaning up the parts, I had a disaster.. this fin broke and the forward part flew away. Fortunately, I found it.

DSC_0179-vi.jpg

and after a good 90 minutes of cutting, sanding and fitting, I now have two Kormorans

DSC_0182-vi.jpg

I still need to apply the PE exhaust parts. 

The Model has been washed, I need to mask the canopys and then we will be ready for primer 

Edited by Kurt H.