Eduard Bundesfighter 1/48 F-104 DONE

Nice! You made real good progress now! Ah but same to me, job and other jobs around the house etc. keep me away from the workbench. Damn summertime! ;-)

Ich vermasseln! 

The Brassin Pylons set has a few different kinds of pylons. So the other day I had some time and figured I would assemble the pylons so I could paint them with the rest of the model

after quite a bit of work I had these two nice pylons

DSC_0184-vi.jpg

So tonight I decided to check my references to see how the Kormorans were mounted on these pylons

And you Luftwaffe fans have already guessed.... 

Wrong pylons!! Augh!

But I do have the right ones

DSC_0185-vi.jpg

but it was a waste of bench time. Though It was good practice with resin and photo etch I guess.

And we have a great leap forward

I finally made time to concentrate on this project

Black primer, and I masked to create the demarcation line

DSC_0197-vi.jpg

This will be painted with the "black basing" method. The first step is an irregular mottle coat of paint. The paint being used is MR PAINT basalt gray

DSC_0198-vi.jpg

IMGP9030-vi.jpg

This provides a base for a thin top coat. The goal is subtle tonal variation

after the top coat:

DSC_0199-vi.jpg

DSC_0200-vi.jpg

The lighting is not ideal for photography but i did achieve was I was trying to accomplish.

Next, is the bottom color. If you have read this whole thread, and the planning thread you might remember TobiK and I discussing the proper color for the bottom. RAL 9006.

That color is available from Revell, but revell paints are not available in the United States, so I sought an alternative. The only paint I could find in my country which was billed as RAL 9006 is Vallejo Model Air.  After looking at many pictures of these planes, it does look gray, but at the right angle, you can see how it is actually silver.  Based on those pictures I thought Floquil Bright Silver would be a good match.

so ... a showdown!

flovsmodelair-vi.jpg

I have never used Model Air, so I figured I would give it a try on a paint hulk Testors F-4G

paintmulealm-vi.jpg

As you can see, they are very close. the RAL9006 is a little darker, with a hint of brown. However, the grain of the metallic particles is larger, and I found this paint did not spray as well as the floquil, so I will use floquil.  It was a fun experiment.

Edited by Kurt H.

That is some nice progress! So I see you to make it in time with your Zipper ...hoamm, and me? I am more tired again after work than to have hot mojo for the bench. :-(

• 2 weeks later...

I am back from the NATS, and I realized it is now august which means there is not much time left. 

I got busy finishing up painting.  The nose was painted with Testors fs16473

DSC_0788-vi.jpg

and the tanks were painted with bas coat of white, then the fluorescent  Orange

DSC_0790-vi.jpg

And the Koromans with gelbolive

DSC_0787-vi.jpg

And with a coat of paint I see some of the fins do not fit properly :angry:

Too late now

I mixed up some clear to give this thing a base for decals and weathering when I realized  I forgot the tan part on the top of the fuselage. I was debating what to do when I noticed I spilled the clear, so I took it as a sign to stop, and mask the tan part on the top of the fuselage and the bottom

DSC_0791-vi.jpg

and since I did not have the color indicated, but I found some Floquil cement, which I have used for fiberglass on a car model, so I figured it would do here

DSC_0792-vi.jpg

It is several hours later, and it still smells like paint, so it is not ready to clear coat.  In the mean time I am working on the little details for the cockpit.  With discipline I should be able to make it in time.

Edited by Kurt H.

I enjoyed a tasty Warstiener beer,  so I was in the mood to start applying decals.

I have applied all the large decals on the sides, and the top of the wings

DSC_0796-vi.jpg

DSC_0799-vi.jpg

DSC_0798-vi.jpg

These are the decals from the kit, they are printed by cartograf. I have found they are very forgiving, and snuggle down well with micoset/microsol.

I love how a model really starts to look the part once decals are applied. 

There are a multitude of stencils to apply as well, so my goal this week will be to finish applying decals, and move on to weathering.

Your Zipper looks really good already! Oh btw. Warsteiner is a quite bitter beer because it is a "Pils" (brewed due to the Pilsener process or how to explain? Pilsen is a city in Czech Republik). But when it is cool and the weather is hot, a freshly opened Pils tastes soo good! Then I say " es zischt"!

15 hours ago, tobiK said:

Your Zipper looks really good already! Oh btw. Warsteiner is a quite bitter beer because it is a "Pils" (brewed due to the Pilsener process or how to explain? Pilsen is a city in Czech Republik). But when it is cool and the weather is hot, a freshly opened Pils tastes soo good! Then I say " es zischt"!

Thanks for your kind words.  I like most beers, and in an attempt to get better motivated to finish this model, German beers seem to help.  Last week I enjoyed some HoffBrau München. 

I have applied the stencils to the top and bottom of the model.  It looks like the majority of the stencils are on the sides.  I try to limit having wet decals on one surface at a time, so after finishing the top tonight, I moved on to the ejection seat

DSC_0800-vi.jpg

That is about half the decals, the other half go on the other side. These decals are tiny, but really add to the detail of the seat. There are also several more PE parts to add.

Here is the top of the model

DSC_0801-vi.jpg

and a close up of the wing

DSC_0803-vi.jpg

more decals tomorrow.

On 8/17/2017 at 7:28 AM, Spectre711 said:

I like it a lot Kurt!

Thanks Spectre!

and the decals are DONE

forward fuselage

DSC_0814-vi.jpg

Rear fuselage

DSC_0815-vi.jpg

yes, the speedbrake is just pressed into place, it will be posed open

And some nice decals for the pylons

DSC_0811-vi.jpg

and the Kormorans

DSC_0812-vi.jpg

I had to use a magnifying glass on these, they were tiny, but the bigger problem was once the decal paper was wet, it was hard to see the tiny white decals on the paper.

Tomorrow I will apply another coat of tamiya gloss clear, and then on to Oil Wash

In the mean time I need to finish the ejection seat, and some more cockpit details. But, It is nice to hit a milestone. While the stencils were not as numerous as a phantom, it is a fair number of decals to apply and for me requires a considerable amount of energy to focus on a task like this.

Any way, the end is in sight and achievable by the end of the GB.

6 hours ago, tobiK said:

Good to see your Zipper in the finishing line...keep up the good work! (and have a beer...)

Thanks.

It is satisfying to get close to the end. I applied the clear coat, and enjoyed a Warstiener.  hopefully the clear will be dry tomorrow.

On 22.8.2017 at 6:37 AM, Kurt H. said:

Thanks.

It is satisfying to get close to the end. I applied the clear coat, and enjoyed a Warstiener.  hopefully the clear will be dry tomorrow.

great work kurt  looks very good :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Paolo Maglio said:

very good progress but I have to say that stabilizers on tip tanks has been glued the wrong way! 

here is as it should be:

17807253_10212059804560969_4955609284468364970_o.jpg

17636871_10212049367580051_7853016126204543837_o.jpg

Ooops. It looks like I got them facing the wrong way. 

I am getting to the end

I have the landing gear in place

2v2uA7nCCx9awpY.jpg

I really like the poly caps for the landing gear.

I also have the seat ready

2v2uA7nnTx9awpY.jpg

the straps are not perfect, but I am satisfied for my first try. Now looking at this picture I see a few things to fix before putting it in the cockpit.  Still looking good for the deadline

2 hours ago, Lancer512 said:

The seat is looking really good! Is that all in the Eduard kit?

Now please excuse me. I'll have to go downstairs and work on my model. :thumbsup:

the kit includes the Photo etch, and resin seat. The seat takes most of the PE it seems.

I added the resin Kormorans and the pylons.