• 3 weeks later...

LOL! Not just you... I had a few good laughs, too.

I rescribed lost detail on the fuselage spine and added another antenna, which went missing. The two opening canopies are attached temporarily with white tack and will be masked soon. Hopefully, the masks will turn out good. More on that later.

3701_23.jpg

I primed the model and the major parts with a very thinned down gloss enamel blue. I've used Humbrol 14 and Mr. Color Leveling Thinner for this model, which resulted in a very shiny surface. This will be the base color for the metallic paint. I've also decided to paint the canopy by hand, as trying to make some masks proved to be more difficult than I thought it would have been. Now the model has to sit for a week until the paint is fully cured. Not going to touch it! No way!

3701_25.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

Yes, I am very happy how it turned out. I've been getting good results with this laquer based thinner with gloss acrylic paints, but this was the first time I've used the Mr. Color Thinner with enamels. In regard to enamels, I have only been able to achieve that level of shine with Xtracolor in the past.

Originally, I intended to use the proprietary solvent of the blue metallic nail polish, which is ethyl acetate. That's the same stuff that is in the quick setting Tamiya Extra Thin.

But now I am thinking about using the Levelling Thinner for thinning it. I'll have to play around with it while paint on the model is curing.

Edited by Lancer512

Interesting trying to mix the levelling thinner with an enamel paint. Surprised that it works!? It seams an universal "weapon" for almost every paint...I use it for Revell aquacolor meanwhile, mixed with W5 glass cleaner for airbrushing. That combination gave back peace between me and the aquacolors.

i will follow with great interest. that leveling thinner seems to do wonders! i'll give it a try next time i'll order from a shop that keeps it. (a shop within my country to avoid 2 month surface mail by sea...)

on my side, i use tamiya lacquer thinner mixed with gloss modern master gloss enamel colors that i wanted to be "flat/satin" instead of glossy. it's speeds up the drying time as a side effect to the process...(while using the airbrush i must add!)

I've tested the blue metallic nail polish with the Leveling Thinner on an blank plasctic card, but I wasn't convinced. I will give it another try.

The surface was more likely uneven than rough. Probably it was still too thick. Just for a test, I sanded the paint with 3600 grit micro mesh, followed by a thick layer of Future (poured over it and let it run off).

The finish looks spectacular, but I had to sand it smooth before the Furure went on. Notice the small metal flakes as opposed to automotive metallic car paint. Unfortunately, I couldn't caputere the shine of the surface on camera. The camera didn't like the uniform surface.

3701_26.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to meet you in Leipheim! Hope your Phantom will end up in the same nice quality as the models you showed there. 

We talked about the acrylic RAL colors. Here is the link to Elita Life Color:

Elita life color HP

Edited by tobiK
  • 2 months later...

Love the blue!  It's really vibrant.  Looking forward to see how the nail polish does for the metallic part.  I have a couple projects that require metallic colors and I've never been sure how to approach that,,,

Painted the first coat of the metallic blue nailpolish. The metal flakes tend not to lie flat on the surface, rather they raise themselves. This results in a very rough initial finish. The roughness can be removed by simply rubbing your fingers accross it. For the second coat, I will try a different solvent, to see if there is any change in the finish.

The fuel tank came out much better, as I was spraying closer to the surface (about 1 to 2").

3701_27.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

Thanks Kingoalie!
Just finished the second coat of paint. Until now, I've used up one and a half bottles of paint.

For the second coat, I used Acetone to thin it in a 50/50 ratio and just 8 PSI pressure with a .02 needle and sprayed much closer to the model. This gave me better results.

After a good 16 hours of drying time, I wet sanded the complete model with 3200 grit Micromesh.
I am quite happy that I could get of the rough spots in the paint. Everything else will be taken care by the clear coat.

The model is shown after it had been rinsed and ried. When it is wet, the paint is much more vibrant. I have never seen a plastic aircraft model with such a spectaluar metallic finish. I guess I'm on the right track.

3701_29.jpg

The nailpolish I've choosen is the Color Show series from Mabelline New York, 661 Ocean Blue. On the bottle I bought later, it has the addition 60 seconds below the brand name. Maybe that was the problem with the rough spots and the paint drying too fast, but I am not an expert on nailpolishes.

3701_30.jpg

3701_31.jpg

Edited by Lancer512
1 hour ago, Kingoalie said:

Wow! I wonder if that brand of nail polish would have a good bronze/orange for the recent Revell German "Bronze Tiger" Eurofighter? 

It does not have to be neccesarily the same brand. Just shop around in the ladies department and see what could be a close match. There are litteraly hundreds of paints to choose from. Most YouTube videos I've seen about painting models with nailpolish use cheap laquer thinner. I've used high quality unblended solvents, but maybe it works better with laquer thinners, which are a blend of solvents. Still trying to get the egde on that skill.