Last weekend the Royal New Zealand Airforce held its 80th anniversary airshow at RAF Ohakea. Aircraft wise, this was the most diverse airshow in New Zealand for many a year. Highlights included the first visit by an F-16 since the 1980s, RSAG F-15SG's and the debut of the RNZAF's latest aerobatic team, the Black Falcons.

I think every photographer at the show took a variation of this photo.

IMG_9969.jpg

9 Ship Black Falcons flypast.

IMG_9774.jpg

New Zealand Defence Force role demo

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos. Sadly the display lacked the usual excitement the RAAF Hornet provides. Note the bomb markings on the nose, some-one got on the wrong side of the RAAF.

IMG_0656.jpg

By contrast the USAF showed us what we have been missing all these years. The F-16 was beyond amazing, the best F-16 display I have seen.. The pilot has incorporated rolls I have usually only seen twin engine jets attempt.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

All the way from Canada. Both mornings the aircraft flew in from RNZAF base Whenuapai

IMG_0082.jpg

As you probably guessed, my gear isn't the best and even after 8 years I am still learning how to use it. I always try to learn something from an airshow, and this time I think I learned that close cropping or depriving the aircraft room in the frame (when shooting) is a bad thing. Next time I will try and leave some more space around the aircraft.

Nice photos! I tossed a few beers back with some 5 Squadron P-3 guys a few years back over at RAF Kinloss. Good bunch!

On the F/A-18, why do you say the bomb markings are on the wrong side? Typically they are on the side of the boarding ladder, no? (Unless it's a Harrier it seems :dontknow:)

Edited by 82Whitey51
3 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Nice photos! I tossed a few beers back with some 5 Squadron P-3 guys a few years back over at RAF Kinloss. Good bunch!

On the F/A-18, why do you say the bomb markings are on the wrong side? Typically they are on the side of the boarding ladder, no? (Unless it's a Harrier it seems :dontknow:)

He said wrong side of the RAAF, like being the bad guys instead of the good guys.

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Another group of photos making me brassed off I couldn't make it. It looks like it was a great show, I woud've loved to have seen the F-16 display.

Steve.

You missed a very good show but I have a feeling the F-16 will be back. The USAF seemed to enjoy their time here.

Fingers crossed we have a Squadron of F-15SG's here too.

1 hour ago, Alternative 4 said:

You missed a very good show but I have a feeling the F-16 will be back. The USAF seemed to enjoy their time here.

Fingers crossed we have a Squadron of F-15SG's here too.

Yes, good that isn't it, don't 'spose we could get our pollies into a lease deal & cross training with the USAF or something/anything like that.

Steve.