1/48 monogram F-14A Tomcat Paint Disaster

Guys,

I don't know what I was thinking. Was I blind? Look at my VF-142 Tomcat in progress. I think the grey is too dark but I blindly followed the instructions. 

What should I do now? Throw the whole thing out of the window or strip paint and start all over?

Mind you that I am almost done with the model, except for decals and a final wash! 

aaa.jpg

Well, since you asked, and mind you this is just my opinion. This would become my new paint mule to test different things on.

I'm assuming since all that's left to do is decals and a final wash, that everything is glued on yes ?? And if the color was wrong why did you go this far ? You could have easily repainted her before you got to this point.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

I've done both repaint and strip. I recommend the repaint for this.

Repaint: I was painting a Grumman Goose according to the directions, which claimed the wings were all yellow. Dana Bell pointed out that wing would have had bare-metal aluminum and painted fabric. I masked the fabric portion, applied a layer of Mr Base (white), and then a coat of Alclad Aluminum. I'm thrilled with the result!

Strip: I painted a resin MQ-8B FS36375 according to the directions (hmm, there's a pattern here). Sadly, the decals were so close in color they were only slightly visible. Stripped it down completely, and repainted a lightened shade, and applied a 2nd set of decals. Also thrilled with these results.

Edited by dnl42

Thank you all for all your suggestions. This was a very last moment change of heart. I should have immediately stopped and changed the gray once I was unhappy with it but I kept going and going!

I think it is now too late to repaint as the model is complete with landing gears glued as well. No ordinance yet, though. It is impossible for me to re-mask everything and airbrush again as I am a newbie myself and it looks daunting, specially with variable geometry wings and two coats of Future already!

This is a classic example of what "NOT TO DO" when you are a newbie. This is my 4th model all together, you know. 

Edited by MiG Hunter
On 3/5/2017 at 10:18 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I would just paint over the existing paint. Think of it as "preshading". Make sure to use Light Gull Gray. That's the color you need.

That's an iffy one Darren to paint light gull grey over dark grey.  I did 1/48 VF-1 CAG bird in LGG and used it as a primer before doing preshading.  LGG over DG may be too dark.  I'd get the oven cleaner out and start again!!!

How about Future, then? The model has already two coats of Future. Will the primer do fine on Future?

I really can't part with the model. I am happy with everything but the gray. :bandhead2:

Someone, please save me!

Edited by MiG Hunter

I'm with 'thegoodsgt',  You've made a mistake you know you made the mistake and you'll pay extra attention the next time. Everything else looks fine from here so just continue with the decaling and finish the build as it is. 

2 hours ago, thegoodsgt said:

Don't feel compelled to re-paint the model. Consider it a learning experience and move on to the next model. 

Link

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

WOW...Thank you for sharing this link. Loved it. I feel better already.

Like I said, I am a newbie and I have a lot to learn. I will not re-paint. I will finish it and move on.  

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

I finally finished the model last night. I didn't correct the gray the color. The model gave me a lot of trouble from the start. Poor dry fitting. Yellowed decals. Masking disaster and more but I had to soldier on. This my 4th model and I have a long way to go and lots to learn. 

IMG_0017.jpg

Edited by MiG Hunter
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, MiG Hunter said:

Hello guys,

I finally finished the model last night. I didn't correct the gray the color. The model gave me a lot of trouble from the start. Poor dry fitting. Yellowed decals. Masking disaster and more but I had to soldier on. This my 4th model and I have a long way to go and lots to learn. 

IMG_0017.jpg

Not bad!! The more I get into this hobby...the more I learn that most anything goes. Even in the military...no 2 planes look exactly alike in color. This looks like a "What if" to me. And a very well done one at that. I like it! I'm doing a US Air Force A400M. I don't like any of the other liveries....so I'll do it as a "WHIF" in USAF livery. It's going to look awesome.

Edited by pminer
On 4/14/2017 at 9:24 AM, MiG Hunter said:

Hello guys,

IMG_0017.jpg

Nice recovery!  

Don't give yourself a rough time!  Dry fitting and masking both take goodly amounts of practice.  Given this is #4, I am sure your clue bag just got a bit bigger, so that you can put to good use those "do's and dont's" you picked up!