Question about Armored Vehicles

This may be a stupid question but, I saw on the History Channel a show about armored vehicles.  I saw regular steel radio antennas as well as what looks like about a 4-6 inch diameter plastic pipe type things on the back of many tanks.  Is this satellite antennas?

Thank You

Are you talking about the two thicker antennas like the ones on either corner of the USMC M1A1 turret basket below?  If so, these are DUKE IED jammer antennas.

AbramsDuke.JPG

Edited by HeavyArty

Is that black and silver section on those DUKE's a spring that allows them to bend without snapping off if the tank is moving through areas that have overhanging obstacles like tree branches or low hanging wires and such?

Thanks and regards.

It is a spring, but it's not the best.  I've seen quite a few broken clean off.  Fortunately the DUKE system has the lowest antenna, usually lower than the turret (at least on wheeled vehicles).  

If you're referring to the green antenna of a similar width, that cuts to a thinner radius about halfway up, that is a UHF antenna for FM comms. 

The satellite antennas are actually incredibly short and are either a 4 blade fan, or a weird circle looking antenna.  I would find pics for you, but my wifi is being a pain tonight

The short, thick antenna just behind the spare wheel is a digital EPLRS (Enhanced Position Locating Radio System) antenna. 

Also note the caged box with two antennas on it behind the TC's hatch.  This is a setup the USMC uses for either Artillery Fire Support Officers (FSO) or USAF Air Liaison Officers (ALO) for their coms systems when they are collocated with a unit CDR.  The ALO or FSO is usually given the extra duty of the loader in that situation.  In the US Army, the FSO and ALO usually have their own vehicles and this setup is not used.