Just had something strange happen today with my PC (unit is ~ 5 years old, WIN7).   While surfing the net, all of a sudden all the text and pictures became smudged (maybe ghosted is a better description), By this I mean that it they have a residue of the color that fades off the right an inch or so.  It's not just related to the browser, my desktop his it, along with any apps I run.    I rebooted the machine and it went away for approx 2 hrs and now it's back.

Not sure if my graphics card is going or something else is happening. Killed power to the monitor (a 3 year old LG unit), no change. Haven't made any changes to my display / video settings. 

Any thoughts?  Didn't find a great deal of help online. 

A tech trick is to unplug and re-plug all cables; ditto with all the boards insides the box. You be surprised how much this can clear things up.But, to Murad's point, your system is nearing the wear-out side of that bathtub curve, especially if you need to try to re-flow solder joints...

Having written that, a new system would be quite a bit more capable and consume much less power. Unless you're a serious gamer, you could also get graphics built into the CPU, which assists on both power and reliability. Finally, multiple monitors are  easily supported today. I have 2 on mine with the built-in graphics. My honey has a graphics card with 3 displays, but she produces videos.

Disclaimer, I work for a CPU manufacturer...

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Check the connections at each end of your video cable between the monitor and graphics output on the PC. Try dis/reconnecting each end.

that's what i'll do first. after, i'm always tempted to check for dust/heat issues... 

Edited by mingwin

Thanks very much for all the tips guys.  I cleaned all the vents, blew out all the dust, and then reseated the graphics card / reattached the cable.   So far, I'm good to go.  

Got my fingers crossed because I do realize the system is well past her prime.  Best PC I've ever owned.  Had it custom built, had zero issues until just lately.   On a related note, it now sometimes freezes up shortly after waking up from sleep mode.  I have to physically kill power to it and then start up again.  Any thoughts?