Albuquerque ... what to do?

The National Museum of Nuclear Science and History is well worth a visit. Not only are the exhibits fascinating but the people are friendly too. Plenty of aircraft outside, including a B-52 which actually dropped a nuclear bomb. The museum is behind the airport, so you might see some ANG F-16's too.

If you like the tv show breaking bad, you could visit Walt's house.

In Santa Fe, the Santa Fe bite makes an amazing green chili cheeseburger and is one of the best thing's I have ever eaten. Just make sure you follow the correct google maps directions as the old location shows up first sometimes.

The San Miguel mission in Santa Fe is the oldest Church in the USA.

Old Santa Fe (where the above two places are) is a nice place to walk around. The architecture was fascinating to me as it's so different to where I am from.

HobbyProz was the only remaining shop a few years ago. There might be some train shops around, but these were out of my scope of interest.

AFAIK, there are no more active F-16s. Maybe transients. But I am sure you will see some Ospreys, MH-60s and C-130s. However, there should be a NMANG F-16 on display outside of the Nuclear Science Museum. Haven't seen it in person, but I've read an article about how they wired the lighting for that F-16 with a microcontroller that is suited for plastic models, too.

If you go the the Nuclear Science Museum, could you measure the diameter or circumference of the B61, that is on display, for me? Last time I was there (must have been around 2011), they had a A-7C, F-105 and a B-52, along with other interesting stuff that was stored in pieces in the outside exhibition. 

It's a tourist trap but Old Town is worth the visit.  Also you can make a quick 4 hour

road trip east on I-40 and come visit me.  LOL. But, definately see the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History.

Have a great trip Anthony.

:cheers:

Jerry

Edited by k5ikl
16 hours ago, Alternative 4 said:

The National Museum of Nuclear Science and History is well worth a visit. Not only are the exhibits fascinating but the people are friendly too. Plenty of aircraft outside, including a B-52 which actually dropped a nuclear bomb. The museum is behind the airport, so you might see some ANG F-16's too.

If you like the tv show breaking bad, you could visit Walt's house.

In Santa Fe, the Santa Fe bite makes an amazing green chili cheeseburger and is one of the best thing's I have ever eaten. Just make sure you follow the correct google maps directions as the old location shows up first sometimes.

The San Miguel mission in Santa Fe is the oldest Church in the USA.

Old Santa Fe (where the above two places are) is a nice place to walk around. The architecture was fascinating to me as it's so different to where I am from.

visit the art galleries in Santa Fe (some of them sell tickets early in the morning, and sell out early). The Kit Carson Museum in Santa Fe is nice. If it's warm, then go up on the Sandia Peaks. If it's in the eighties, then bring your winter coat and take the train ride out of Chama. Some of the best escalades I've ever ate were at El Roys. There's a flea market next t the old church in Santa Fe every Saturday. Take time to visit it.

gary 

On March 8, 2017 at 0:40 AM, vvac201 said:

The first thing you should do in Albuquerque is make a left turn!  Look at all the trouble that rabbit gets into just because he didn't make a left turn!

Funniest thing I've read in a long time.  :rofl:

Used to live there and visit my family there a couple times a year; Hobby Proz isn't bad, best you'll find there these days. Still pining over the loss of the legendary Hobbies'N'Stuff. 

Not aircraft, but near Old Town (same exit, Rio Grande Blvd off I-40) is the Museum of Natural History. Fantastic place, always my daughter's favorite place to visit from when she was little to her present young adulthood.....

If you're in Santa Fe on April 12th, you might be able to see the French Aerobatic Team Patrouille de France. They will refuel at Santa Fe while flying from Texas to the Grand Canyon.

Somewhere here on ARC, there is a thread about it.

On 3/12/2017 at 3:49 PM, Lancer512 said:

If you're in Santa Fe on April 12th, you might be able to see the French Aerobatic Team Patrouille de France. They will refuel at Santa Fe while flying from Texas to the Grand Canyon.

Somewhere here on ARC, there is a thread about it.

That would have been awesome to see. But I fly in on 4/13... so I'm going to miss that unfortunately. 

14 minutes ago, AnthonyWan said:

Cool ! Thanks :) 

Another smaller detail of no interest to most, as I see you're in Boston. When I was 12 my family moved from the Boston suburbs to Albuquerque. Seriously. Talk about culture shock! 

But yes, as a previous respondant mentioned, when eating out and they ask if you want red or green chile, ALWAYS go green. You'll understand when you get here. Red's almost just a footnote; folks who know always go with the green chile. And no, it's NOTHING like jalepenos. Trust me on this.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
30 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Another smaller detail of no interest to most, as I see you're in Boston. When I was 12 my family moved from the Boston suburbs to Albuquerque. Seriously. Talk about culture shock! 

But yes, as a previous respondant mentioned, when eating out and they ask if you want red or green chile, ALWAYS go green. You'll understand when you get here. Red's almost just a footnote; folks who know always go with the green chile. And no, it's NOTHING like jalepenos. Trust me on this.

So I've been told on the green chilies... I can't wait. :P 

Yep, I'm in Boston right now. 

I'm sure I'll be in for some culture shock when I land in ABQ. Should be fun... 

3 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Yes, trust Andrew on the above statement.  I was born and raised in southern NM down on the

Mexican border (Deming) and know the chili culture quite well.  Was only 45 miles from the famous Hatch Valley chili farms.  Green for me only sir.  

19 hours ago, k5ikl said:

Yes, trust Andrew on the above statement.  I was born and raised in southern NM down on the

Mexican border (Deming) and know the chili culture quite well.  Was only 45 miles from the famous Hatch Valley chili farms.  Green for me only sir.  

I stopped for fuel once in Deming... Then up the Valley to Belen, then on to Tucumcari. Highest groundspeed I ever had in an R-44... 147 KIAS... Climbing...